bosco

A great day

Today was my day off, and I took advantage of it.  I got in my bathing suit and went out and vacuumed out both the KKs and loaded them up for weekend cooks.  Then I did a wipe down on the out side with the zapp 505 and then a light spray wax to make it shiny again.  

Went for a swim for a bit then lit the 23".  I sat out on the porch with a nice cool breeze waiting for the temp to get up.  It was so relaxing, enjoying the smell of the lump and I remembered why I love this hobby as much as I do.  We made spatchcock chicken and beef ribblets and invited the neighbours over for dinner.  

Around 7:30, I loaded the 32" up with lump and some peach and white oak chunks.  Got it up to 250 for now and threw on a 10 lb butt and an 8 lb brisket point.  I am cooking for my cousin who is throwing a surprise party for her husband who just happens to think that I am the greatest cook in the world lol.  Threw the meat on at 10pm and will let it coast all night.  I hope everything finishes on time and will likely bump the temp up in the morning early.  I just want it to get a nice hit of smoke right now.

No pics unfortunately, but I will take some in the morning when I finally take a peak to see where I am at.

The backyard smells so wonderful with the peach and oak combo

Today was a very nice day of relaxation and enjoyment with my KKs

• Like 1

I'm sitting out on the covered porch and the sweetness of pork and the peach and oak is just tormenting my senses.  I have the outside LED lights on in the pool and I may as well go for a late night dip.  I will check pit around 3am and that will be it.  I trust my KK more than anything I have ever cooked on.  I should have used the cyberQ... but I am lazy lol and don't want to 

I am amazed with just how little air flow is in on this grill and it is rock solid at 250.  

The smoke is about perfect, you can not see an ounce of smoke until I shine a flash light near the top damper and it is just a light blue haze (Nailed It)

Progress report.  It is 3am. I haven't looked inside.  The smoke is still incredibly strong.  The wood scattered and buried is hitting st all different times.  My 32" KK is holding strong at 250.  The moisture that is coming from the bottom dials has created a fair size puddle.  I'll try and take a pic in the daylight.   5 hours steady temp things are looking good.  Back to bed 

• Like 2

7am and these are probing at 170-175 in spots.  I'll monitor until 10 but don't think that I need to up the temp all that much as they have already likely progressed through the stall. 

I may wrap them if needed but looks like the KK has produced some awesome results.  As soon as I poked them they started juicing up... A sign of amazing moisture retention.  

Here is a picture after 9 hours at a rock solid 250 degrees.  This temp has been unwavering all night 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

finished everything up right on time and I am very pleased with the overall turn out of these two cuts.  These were for my cousin who is having a surprise BBQ for her husband.  He is a huge fan of BBQ so I hope that I did it right.  We should soon see if he approved.  From the samples that I took, I think they were about perfect

_DSC1953.jpg_DSC1954.jpg_DSC1955.jpg_DSC1963.jpg

and the butt

_DSC1958.jpg_DSC1960.jpg

• Like 3