Shuley

Best smash burgers to date!

Finally got the smash burgers how I like them after several rounds of experimentation. I got everything done before the patties went on as I am just now realizing how fast that process goes. First mix up the secret burger sauce.2f6c86b8568d9e8e5430aaa1211b85b3.jpg

Fry up some onions and bacon and a splash of apple cider vinegar in the onions to make them really tasty.63c33efa0410c9bc55e000f7c528adee.jpg

Grilled the sides (prosciutto wrapped asparagus-my 6 year old loves these and ate two bundles himself I am so glad I saw these a ckreef`s post and thin sliced yellow squash with bbq rub)6c4e7ba3f826cc131155553cb297392a.jpg

After those are done, on go the approximately 2 and a half ounce balls of hamburger seasoned with salt and pepper and smashed only ONE time (this was key for me)938aac5dd49418e30190aca0895d2474.jpg

Flipped, melted cheese and all the toppings I prepared plus lettuce and tomato on a brioche bun( yes I know I would be better homemade, but these are dang good. If you have a sprouts near you I would check them out they are seriously good and even better toasted a little)

Then I'm sitting down to dinner.5d14010fd558d2d08977790d4975a472.jpg

So good. Don't think I've had a better burger anywhere......ever. I think I finally figured out a formula that works for my tastes. :)

• Like 2

Smash style burgers over cast iron or steel heated on the KK are my favorite!   Caramelized onions too.  Your burgers and wrapped asparagus look super tasty!   

When you say steel, are you talking about a pizza steel? It doesn't seem like many people have them but I'm intrigued.

Supposed to have this 3/8" thick x 15" (I stated 18" above...the memory is the first to go with aging :D) carbon steel griddle delivered today:  http://www.bakingsteel.com/shop/round griddle

Although I like the way my Neapolitan pizzas come out on the KK stone, at ~750ºF dome, managing that much intense heat and lump fuel is a little bit of a PITA; and a dedicated wood pizza/bread oven isn't in my foreseeable future.   

I'm hoping the steel plate will allow me to get similar results at a more manageable temp of 600-ish; we'll see per what I've been reading about same.   Either way I wanted a round carbon steel griddle for smash burgers, etc.   Ideally would have liked an 18" diameter version of same but 15" is the largest they offer.    

4 hours ago, dstr8 said:

Supposed to have this 3/8" thick x 15" (I stated 18" above...the memory is the first to go with aging :D) carbon steel griddle delivered today: 

Baking Steel Round Griddle

I'm hoping the steel plate will allow me to get similar results at a more manageable temp of 600-ish

1 hour ago, dstr8 said:

^ Yes, I wanted the grease trough which is why I opted for the reversible griddle.

I use a baking steel for pizza at around 600 F; I believe that you'll be happy. Consider the upper deck, to get as much radiant heat as possible on the pizza top.

None of my baking steels have grease troughs; I believe that this is called free soloing. I've never had a problem, but I always have to check the bottom after a friend uses one.

• Like 1

CC, I can tell you I prefer the KK baking stone on the KK but for the kitchen oven I do like the Baking Steel it does an awesome job there. I think it would do a fantastic job on the KK for smashed burgers but in my experience not so much for a pizza and I definitely would do bread on the KK baking stone hands down.

• Like 1