Shuley

Best smash burgers to date!

2 hours ago, CeramicChef said:

@Syzygies - did you purchase (if so which brand) your baking steel or have one made for you?  Do you have the KK Baking stone?  What determines which you use?  Thanks in advance.

I have three baking steels from http://www.bakingsteel.com/, several baking stones from https://bakingstone.com/, a baking bong from http://www.bakingbong.com, and a KK baking stone. These are spread over two coasts and friend's kitchens.

For bread, I tried a rectangular kiln shelf, but it had the wrong thermal properties. I had a baking stone cut to match, and I now stack them in my KK for bread.

For pizza, I prefer a baking steel. It's hard to make apples-to-apples comparisons here, as one adapts to each stone. From a reclusive childhood playing chess with myself, I've learned to be fair, giving each option a chance. The technique nevertheless needs to adapt to the stone.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DennisLinkletter said:

I have two 4'x12' sheets of A36 Mild Steel being cut up and milled as I type..
10mm    slightly more than 3/8 inch    0.393"  will have groove machined on the outside of one side.

Somehow, I think my entire Christmas list this year will be KK related!

• Like 1

OK, so I gave in and did burgers for dinner tonight. Not exactly smash, since they were pre-formed patties at the supermarket. However, they are made out of brisket (80/20 mix).

Pre-staged.

001.JPG

Then into a preheated cast iron skillet on the lower grate.

003.JPG

Cheese? Yes, please.

006.JPG

Some assembly required.

008.JPG

Plated with double cooked fries. 1st cook in Sous Vide (183F for 40 minutes in a bag with duck fat), 2nd cook in the deep fryer with a mix of duck fat and peanut oil. Oh, and MacKenzie, that would be aioli next to the fries - the proper condiment - LOL!

009.JPG

To be honest, need to practice a bit more using the CI skillet. Burger was too rare, even for me. Gives me an excuse to try again soon (it was a 4 pack of burger patties.)

• Like 3

Tony - absolutely beautiful cook.  I Love hamburgers and those just woke up my tummy.  Now it's talking to me wanting burgers just like those you made!  Kudos to ya on a great burger cook!

I'm doing burgers myself this evening. Simple.  Just gonna put 'em on the grill, turn 'em, pull 'em, and eat 'em.  Mustard, pickle, and onion.  I'm using the Sandwich thins, whole wheat, that I grabbed at the store at the beginning of the week.  Sides are some left over baked beans and a green salad.  I'm on a diet dadgummit!

OK, so I gave in and did burgers for dinner tonight. Not exactly smash, since they were pre-formed patties at the supermarket. However, they are made out of brisket (80/20 mix).

Pre-staged.

001.JPG

Then into a preheated cast iron skillet on the lower grate.

003.JPG

Cheese? Yes, please.

006.JPG

Some assembly required.

008.JPG

Plated with double cooked fries. 1st cook in Sous Vide (183F for 40 minutes in a bag with duck fat), 2nd cook in the deep fryer with a mix of duck fat and peanut oil. Oh, and MacKenzie, that would be aioli next to the fries - the proper condiment - LOL!

009.JPG

To be honest, need to practice a bit more using the CI skillet. Burger was too rare, even for me. Gives me an excuse to try again soon (it was a 4 pack of burger patties.)

Those look pretty good. I like my burgers more on the well done side (only ground meat) I always do them in the main grate though which will probably cook them through better before the outside burns.

I have two 4'x12' sheets of A36 Mild Steel being cut up and milled as I type..

10mm    slightly more than 3/8 inch    0.393"  will have groove machined on the outside of one side.

Very interesting. Any idea how much they will run or when they will be available?

Thanks all, but trust me on this one, they were on the "blue side" of rare! I wouldn't normally have eaten them this rare if they had been "normal supermarket burger," but since they were a special grind, I rolled with it. Still alive and kicking today, fortunately!