DennisLinkletter

Easy Open New Crate Design..

Ten minutes to open up your Komodo crate..

To make a crate that can stand up to the abuse of the trucking companies is great but can be a total nightmare to open up.. So what I'm now doing is building the crate and pallet stand alone.

The cooker is secured to the base first then the crate is lowered over the cooker and secured by 8 bolts with wood threads.

To open, use a ratchet to remove bolts and lift off the crate.. About one minute per bolt.

Just trying to make your Komodo experience more enjoyable and less work.. I had the pleasure of opening up one of my crates in August and I promised myself to make that experience easier..

The yellow straps are to secure the cooker. the blue rope is the harness to carry/lift the cooker.

halfTerra.jpg

The protective plastic bag is also a new addition..

EZcrate.jpg

EzCrate3.jpg

Pre-drilled..

Ezcrate1.jpg

EzCrate2.jpg

Next time they will use washers..

How Does It Taste?

What variety of wood do you fabricate the pallet and crate out of and how does it taste when you use it to smoke your meat on the KK?

If you tell me you've never tried I choose in advance not to believe you.

Looking forward to early December!

twharton

"I'll try almost anything once.

Re: How Does It Taste?

What variety of wood do you fabricate the pallet and crate out of and how does it taste when you use it to smoke your meat on the KK?

If you tell me you've never tried I choose in advance not to believe you.

Looking forward to early December!

twharton

"I'll try almost anything once.

Don't burn the plywood parts. Bad bad! No opinion on the hardwood parts. :)

Dude - it wasn't so bad, anyone could have the old crate apart in say AN HOUR!!! Great improvement, you just need to make sure they are aware of how to disassemble it before they get it. I found a nifty little crow bar included in my crate, but I didn't find it until I was almost done (I did have my own tools, but it could come in handy)

The wood looked like rubber (as in rubber tree) to me.

done easily using a cat's paw..

Boy' date=' I hope mine comes with that crate. I have had a belly full of those crates that take a day to open! :P[/quote']

The crates shipped pre-bolted leg design could be opened by either removing the two large nails that were replaced by the bolts or by simply sawing the four posts off at the base..

Removing the nails could be done easily using a cat's paw..

:wink::wink:

Re: done easily using a cat's paw..

Boy' date=' I hope mine comes with that crate. I have had a belly full of those crates that take a day to open! :P[/quote']Removing the nails could be done easily using a cat's paw..

:wink::wink:

Hmm... Maybe he has a dog, which would explain it. Nothing's done easily with a dog's paw.