CeramicChef

Breakfast For DInner

Howdy KKers!

Today was one of those days.  I decided some comfort food was in order and I didn't want to go to great lengths to get it.  I had some ham steaks in the refrigerator from a hog that my brother and i bought and custom butchered.  So I decided that nothing would taste much better than breakfast for dinner.

The ham steaks had not been cured, so the first thing I had to do was lay some smoke on them.  I chose hickory.  Here are the ham steaks right out of the cryovac packaging and on the KK's grate.  You can see some hickory smoke wafting over the steaks.

IMG_1384.jpg

Here the steaks are after about 30 minutes on smoke with a grate temp of 225F.

IMG_1389.jpg

Another 15 minutes on smoke and these bad boys are ready for for the eggs to meet the pork. [NOTE: I took the hickory wood out of the KK as I don't really like smoked eggs.  Eggs soak up smoke in a BIG hurry!]

IMG_1392.jpg

A few minutes later and here is dinner, ready to plate!

IMG_1396.jpg

And another shot before plating.

IMG_1395.jpg

Finally, here is the money shot.  Ham and eggs, breakfast for dinner!

IMG_1399.jpg

You can see Pete The Salt Pig's feet at the top of the picture.  He chose for obvious reasons not to participate in this evening's cook!

This was a simple little cook that was really quite tasty.  The ham steaks were about 45 minutes on hickory smoke and were delicious.  The eggs didn't take more than about 7 minutes to cook.  I'll do this cook again simply because it is so simple to do, no cleanup to speak of, and its great comfort food.

Thanks for looking!

Have a happy and safe 4th of July holiday!  Happy Birthday, America!

8 minutes ago, Shuley said:

That looks mighty tasty. Ham was probably spectacular.

@Shuley - thanks!  It's a much better dish with fresh eggs ... they don't spread so much as these did.  The ham was absolutely wonderful.  I'm getting low on this hog ... time to talk to the Brother and see if we want to do another.  

Hi MacKenzie,

TerraBlue is the color and I'm not sure yet when it will arrive.  I sat on the fence for a few days making up my mind what to order so it wasn't even finalized until 7/1. Dennis was right on top of the process and we confirmed everything just before 1PM which meant it was likely too late to be transmitted to his warehouse for pulling that day.  When combined with our 4th of July Holiday here in the U.S., I feel I will be lucky to see it @ 7/8, but more realistically by perhaps @7/11.

If that really is the situation, I will be lucky to unpack and set it up, only to leave on a mini-vacation that will have me gone from home for several days so my first cook won't happen until 7/18 - ugh!

• Like 1