CeramicChef

Syzygies' Smoking Pot

can the pot be sat on top of the basket on the bracket that sits connecting both sides of the basket? That way as the fire burns down the pot will not smother it.

Or is it required for the pot to be sat on top of the burning charcoal and not just right near the heat source?

11 hours ago, churchi said:

can the pot be sat on top of the basket on the bracket that sits connecting both sides of the basket? That way as the fire burns down the pot will not smother it.

Or is it required for the pot to be sat on top of the burning charcoal and not just right near the heat source?

Most of us use small (2 Qt) CI dutch ovens, which are too small to straddle the handle, plus, like others have noted, you want the smoke directed back into the fire to clean it up and I'm not sure if the pot would get hot enough if not in direct contact with the coals, as it take several hundred degrees (F) to ignite the wood to the smoldering point inside the DO - like in the 450F (225C) range, well above the air temperature inside the KK during low and slows. 

I was sure that I was going to have a pot smoking time today but due to a mess up in the delivery all I had was a regular dinner with no pot. These sausages are large  so only grilled two and didn't take any grill shots.

Grilled some mild Italian sausages today for dinner and make some pasta to go with it all. Grilled beets and tomatoes from the garden for sides.

Mild Italian Dinner.jpg

Mild Italian Sausage Dinner.jpg

Cut Sausage.jpg

The package said Mild Italian so I thought they might be quite flat tasting but no they were very good and I'd buy them again. :)

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2016 at 2:49 AM, tony b said:

Most of us use small (2 Qt) CI dutch ovens, which are too small to straddle the handle, plus, like others have noted, you want the smoke directed back into the fire to clean it up and I'm not sure if the pot would get hot enough if not in direct contact with the coals, as it take several hundred degrees (F) to ignite the wood to the smoldering point inside the DO - like in the 450F (225C) range, well above the air temperature inside the KK during low and slows. 

Cool thanks @tony b for the explanation. I can see why it needs to sit directly on the coals. 

I've meant to try their green peppercorn and tarragon versions. However, I usually have 4 or 5 different mustards in the fridge at any given time, so there's not much room left - LOL! The bucket is just a cute outer package, there's a 15oz jar inside. But. I've found some good uses for the buckets, though.