Shuley

Rotisserie

I have a few questions about the kk rotisserie. It looks like a much different set up than I had on my old gasser. It almost looks like a half basket? Are you able to do things like chicken and Turkey in a basket that looks like it has a fixed diameter? And is it a whole basket for things like wings? I am a little confused what the set up is exactly...are there any videos or pictures that you can point me towards?

Additionally you buy the basket, but does that come with the rod? I guess I need to know what exactly I would need to order if I did choose to get one. (my parents are asking what I want for my birthday....so this was one idea I wanted to look into)

Dennis has just finished making straight rods that should be released soon.  That is more traditional roti and he has agreed to make them as many have asked for it.  

The basket you would want is the 8" with 6" reducer.  The basket will fit most cuts of meat and birds. 

Basically for smaller cooks you add the reducer basket to make it smaller. Or for larger cooks you just use the 8" by itself.  

Its like an open basket with prongs that lock shut to keep the meat in place.  

I plan on ordering a straight rod so that I can order a tumbler basket that I liked using before.  

The question you ask yourself about getting it should be "why not" lol

Shuley, as Bosco mentioned a rod version is on the way. I also suggest the 8 inch with the 6 inch reducer. I have done a few chickens and really like how well they come out using the rotisserie also did 2 rack of ribs that came out just fine. I highly recommend the rotisserie unit and wouldn't want to be without it. I have an order in for the rod version too. I don't think you would be disappointed in the rotisserie. Here is a link to the ribs. I you do a search and you'll see several chickens on the rotisserie. :) 

http://komodokamadoforum.com/topic/6683-rotisserie-ribs/#comment-72175

Edited by MacKenzie

Here's the 8" basket with 6" reducer on the 23" OTB. If you didn't get the 2 rotisserie shafts in your "tool & parts box," mention that you need them when you order the basket. The basket will come with the new adjustable motor shaft and motor mounting bracket. The motor has to be ordered separately from One Grill - model #  4pm05.

004.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bosco said:

Dennis has just finished making straight rods that should be released soon.  That is more traditional roti and he has agreed to make them as many have asked for it.  

The basket you would want is the 8" with 6" reducer.  The basket will fit most cuts of meat and birds. 

Basically for smaller cooks you add the reducer basket to make it smaller. Or for larger cooks you just use the 8" by itself.  

I plan on ordering a straight rod so that I can order a tumbler basket that I liked using before.  

Hey Ryan, order me one too please.

So the basket can't “hold” anything, correct? I guess I am confused by this design,Dennis seems to be very thoughtful in the design of his grill, so I am sure there is a rationale for maing a rotisserie that looks so much different.

Will it fit a turkey?

• Like 1

Shuley, as Bosco mentioned a rod version is on the way. I also suggest the 8 inch with the 6 inch reducer. I have done a few chickens and really like how well they come out using the rotisserie also did 2 rack of ribs that came out just fine. I highly recommend the rotisserie unit and wouldn't want to be without it. I have an order in for the rod version too. I don't think you would be disappointed in the rotisserie. Here is a link to the ribs. I you do a search and you'll see several chickens on the rotisserie.  

http://komodokamadoforum.com/topic/6683-rotisserie-ribs/#comment-72175

Do you see a benefit to this particular design?

It will hold a turkey just fine. You'll use the whole 8" basket (take out the 6" reducer).

And, MacKenzie is spot on about the adjustable clamps securing things nicely. This design allows some things to be "spun" that you wouldn't be able to using the standard rod and prongs, like MacKenzie's racks of ribs. I'm looking forward to putting some 1/4" mesh wire inside the basket and roasting chile peppers in it. 

• Like 1

On July 4, 2016 at 4:36 AM, bosco said:

Does this mean a roti with the more traditional "spear type" that you have to thrust through whatever you're cooking?  I can see pluses and minuses for the traditional and Dennis's version.

My perception to the down side to Dennis's version (without having yet received mine) is that you might have some small issues with balancing the weight but since good motors make some provision for off center weighting, shouldn't be a big problem.  I ordered his 8inch version that included a reducer and I'm expecting great versatility and ease with it considering the flexibility of the securing pieces.

Having "speared" many large pieces of meat for roti cooking on my Lynx gas grill, I can comment about how hard it can be to shove through a large breastbone to better achieve a good mounting and centered weighting.  The largest turkey I cooked on my 42inch Lynx was a 25lb. bird that turned out spectacularly well...

In my mind, a "wash" between the two types - it will ultimately come down the size and flexibility of each equipment set and the perseverance of the cook to master what they have...

Happy cooking to us all!  

Here is something I just thought- I am planning on getting a full pork loin and turning it into Canadian Bacon. Normally I just set it on the grill to smoke but this time I think I'll put it in the rotisserie basket and smoke it that way. We'll see how it goes perhaps I'll get a chance to pick one up tomorrow and start the cure so in about 10 days or so we'll see how it goes. I wouldn't want to do this on a rod because I don't want a hole right thru the whole loin.:(  I just wish I had that new smoking tool that Dennis is making. 

Kevin, I can remember making different stabs to get it right on the old rotisserie. Yikkes. :( 

Like Kevin, I can see positives to both the basket and rod which is why I have ordered the rod version too.:)

BTW, there is an adjustment for changing the centre of gravity on the basket rotisserie.:)

Edited by MacKenzie

1 hour ago, tony b said:

It will hold a turkey just fine. You'll use the whole 8" basket (take out the 6" reducer).

And, MacKenzie is spot on about the adjustable clamps securing things nicely. This design allows some things to be "spun" that you wouldn't be able to using the standard rod and prongs, like MacKenzie's racks of ribs. I'm looking forward to putting some 1/4" mesh wire inside the basket and roasting chile peppers in it. 

I would like to get me hands on some SS wire also, wouldn't wings be great? :)

I've found that the rotisserie basket concept that Dennis uses makes a spun meal much easier and much juicier than the traditional spit.  If you're doing a prime rib roast, it's flat dadgummed hard shoving a pit through that much meat.  With the basket, just lay it in, secure the screws and you're off and running.  No juices drip out from the hole created by the spit.  All my friends think that the KK Roti is the neatest thing they've ever seen. I don't argue.  

I've found that the rotisserie basket concept that Dennis uses makes a spun meal much easier and much juicier than the traditional spit.  If you're doing a prime rib roast, it's flat dadgummed hard shoving a pit through that much meat.  With the basket, just lay it in, secure the screws and you're off and running.  No juices drip out from the hole created by the spit.  All my friends think that the KK Roti is the neatest thing they've ever seen. I don't argue.  

Ok this is starting to sound superior now. I keep seeing all those basket cooks on people's JTs on KG is there any kind of option for this set up?

7 hours ago, Shuley said:

Ok this is starting to sound superior now. I keep seeing all those basket cooks on people's JTs on KG is there any kind of option for this set up?

Im not a big fan of those types of rotisseries for the following reason: I dont like food banging around.  It unbalances the load and put additional strain on the motor shortening motor life and I dont like my food beaten up during the cooking process.  Just me. 

I see benefits to both designs, especially for specific cooks. I'm thinking I'd like to use my fish basket with the new straight rod to do a whole red snapper, rotisserie style. I also like MacKenzie's wing idea. But, for large whole cuts, like chickens, roasts, etc., the basket design wins in my book. 

• Like 1