Steve M

Hurry up and wait

29 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Really great looking KK - I'm a little partial to the color. Great unpacking pictures.

BTW you have an awesome Backyard. Can I come live there? My two KK's match and would complete an outdoor kitchen Trifecta - LOL

Reef's Bistro

Plenty of room; love to have you but it might cost you some cooking lessons

• Like 2

Congrats and gorgeous looking KK.  I recently got mine and have been cooking on it for a week and have been blown away - and that's coming from cooking on Kamado Joes for a few years, which as you know is very similar to BGE.   Steve, it doesn't EVEN compare!  I wish you could borrow your friends BGE and cook the same food side by side and taste the difference.  It's like going from a nice Toyota to a Ferrari.  Once you learn your KK, you'll just smile at your friends BGE cooks and not tell him how much better it is off of yours :-D.  The folks here are super friendly and will help you with any issues you might have.  Don't hesitate to ask. 

11 minutes ago, Nuprin said:

Congrats and gorgeous looking KK.  I recently got mine and have been cooking on it for a week and have been blown away - and that's coming from cooking on Kamado Joes for a few years, which as you know is very similar to BGE.   Steve, it doesn't EVEN compare!  I wish you could borrow your friends BGE and cook the same food side by side and taste the difference.  It's like going from a nice Toyota to a Ferrari.  Once you learn your KK, you'll just smile at your friends BGE cooks and not tell him how much better it is off of yours :-D.  The folks here are super friendly and will help you with any issues you might have.  Don't hesitate to ask. 

Thanks, that is great to hear not only how much you are enjoying it, but how it compares to your previous cookers. I was intrigued from the get go and reading through the forum I was blown away by how much everyone loved their kk's. 

2 minutes ago, Aussie Ora said:

Steve that is one nice looking KK love the name great unpacking thread congrats mate

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill♨

1 minute ago, KevinD said:

You sir, have unsurpassed taste in color selection! ;-) 

It certainly appears that Pele's relative has arrived in an extremely inviting environment - I wish you every success in grilling & 'q'ing!

Thanks guys!

38 minutes ago, bosco said:

it looks great.  

Let me ask you, once you got it out of the crate what were your initial thoughts?  Is it what you expected or more?

In many ways, it is what I expected. I have read nearly every thread of the forum, watched the youtube videos, pored over the store website, and consumed just about everything kk I could read. So my expectations were high and they were met without a doubt. But there is a certain something that you get when up close to one that the pictures don't do justice. The quality of the stainless, the craftsmanship of the tiles and all the hardware, the feel of releasing the latch and smoothness of the lift. Those things exceeded my high expectations. And I haven't even cooked on it yet.

• Like 2

I got a Weber Kettle years back. Then I got a Vision Classic and never cooked on the Kettle anymore.  When I got my Big Joe, I never cooked on the Vision anymore.  Then sold the Vision and replaced it with a KJ Classic. So you see where this is going...if you're like me, get ready to sell your other grills and start thinking about another KK.  For kicks and giggles, try cooking the same exact thing side by side with your kettle.  I would recommend starting with something easy and quick such as any type of chicken or pork loin/tenderloin.  The difference should stun you. 

• Like 2

Question regarding the rotisserie: I screwed hardware into the sides of the basket and everything is tightened up snug. I am still at least 1/16" too long. Take a look at the attached pics to verify everything looks rightFullSizeRender 8.jpgFullSizeRender 9.jpg

The left side is pushed as far as possible into the spring assembly. I loosened the nut to make sure the end went as far as possible into the threaded insert and retightened.

I thought of that but figured I have to be overlooking something.

The good news is the motor I ordered from one grill seems to be winding in the correct rotation. I spoke to them before ordering and they said they no longer make them especially for the kk but thought it would already work.

3 hours ago, Steve M said:

Question regarding the rotisserie: I screwed hardware into the sides of the basket and everything is tightened up snug. I am still at least 1/16" too long. Take a look at the attached pics to verify everything looks rightFullSizeRender 8.jpgFullSizeRender 9.jpg

The left side is pushed as far as possible into the spring assembly. I loosened the nut to make sure the end went as far as possible into the threaded insert and retightened.

I have the same problem with mine. I called Dennis and he had me take a picture of the shafts against a tape measure and I sent it to him as requested.

While two instances don't necessarily make it a certainty, it would seem that Dennis might've gotten a run of parts not up to his specs...

Also, I haven't yet been able to get my splitter to fit as I think it is designed in the charcoal basket.  Tried that as I was unpacking for the heck of it but since then, I've had the basket in use and I've not emptied it out to give it another shot. Dennis asked me to sent him pics of that as well and I will eventually get around to it.

3 hours ago, Steve M said:

Also, in the bag with the shaft that goes into the motor, there are several springs. Are these extra?IMG_2737.JPG

Dennis told me the springs are only used if the socket in the roti motor is so deep that the shaft has too much play and doesn't fit snugly.  Mine was fine so he told me the springs would not be needed.