Porkchop

My BBQ on 10/21...

sorry no pics, gang, but...

made some awesome food! did 4 butts, bbq black beans, sweet chow (aka fish slaw or vinegar slaw), tater salad, vinegar sauce, and a KC style sauce.

some of you might know, i recently was diagnosed diabetic. all this stuff was made sugar free and, at least for the butts and beans, was the best i've made to date! not just "good for sugar-free", but awesome!

for sugar in all the following recipes, i subbed "diabetisweet" for sugar.

200.jpg

it's basically isomalt and doesn't impact blood sugar, BUT it acts just like sugar. it carmelizes like sugar. that means bark on the pork, thick and tangy bbq sauce and beans! it's in the diabetic section in wallyworld by the test strips and lancets! here's some recipes to try:

Rub

1/2 c plain salt

1 c. isomalt

5 T. chili powder

3 T. onion powder

2 T. garlic powder

1 T. black pepper

1 T. cayenne

(i was lazy!)

Slaw Dressing

1 c. vinegar

1 c. isomalt

2/3 c. salad oil

1 T. mustard

1 T. celery seed

1 t. salt

Mix all, bring to a boil, pour over shredded cabbage and carrots, and put in fridge covered for 4-6 hours to wilt. put on pork sammich or eat on the side! FYI, them that know know that this slaw gets better every day it sits! Just had some, and man was it good! you WILL be tempted to drink the "juice"!

Vinegar Sauce for Pork (ala dennis' mom)

2 1/2 cups cider vinegar

1/2 cup low carb ketchup

2 tablespoons isomalt

1 tablespoon hot sauce (preferably Crystal brand)

4 teaspoons salt

4 teaspoons cayenne

2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 1/2 tablespoons of above rub

Combine all and bring to a boil. Let cool. put on pork sammich with slaw!

KC Sauce

1/2 c. cider vinegar

2 c. low carb ketchup

6 T. isomalt

1/4 cup sugar-free Log Cabin syrup

¼ cup Worcestershire sauce

2 T. mustard

1 T. cayenne

1 T. chili powder

1 T. onion powder

2 t. black pepper

2 t. garlic powder

Combine and bring to a boil, then simmer on low for 20-30 min. (while you're doing other stuff; don't need to time it!) Let cool in fridge, overnite the best! next time i might add some liquid smoke!

BBQ Black Beans

(i just "dump cooked" this, so it's just a guess at actual measurements!)

1 lb. dry black beans (very HIGH FIBRE!)

1 c. low carb sugar

1/2 c. isomalt

1/2 c. above KC sauce

1/4 c. sugar free Log Cabin Syrup

3 T. chili powder

2 T. onion powder

1 T. garlic powder

leftover rib tips

1/2 c. above rub

Soak beans overnight. Drain and cook in water til tender (just barely cover the beans with water and cook in a covered pot. keep an eye on water and just add enough to keep the beans covered) with the leftover tips. When tender DO NOT DRAIN, but add rest of ingredients, cover and bake in 350 oven til bubbly (no idea how long that was! maybe 1/2 hour), then stir and, if too wet, put back in uncovered for a few minutes (keep an eye on them; they'll burn quick with all the "sugar" in them!).

Potato Salad

nothing special. mayo, mustard, other stuff. everybody liked it tho! NO BOILED EGGS! :smt018

That's it! Hope the recipes make up for the lack of pics! Shout out to my diabetic homies! REPRESENT, YO!

btw, i guess i should mention that those not used to isomalt may experience, uh, a LAXATIVE effect if they overdo it the first couple times. if you take it easy, you soon get used to it and no problem. it's basically the same stuff in all those SF Russell Stover candies!