KevinD

Whoo Hoo - Finally have my shipping info!

Well folks I do have a rack of ribs in the refrigerator marinating in spice rub and I do have a few long tall ones on ice as well.   Unfortunately since Pele did not arrive on Friday, I'm on my own as far as upacking and moving around which is going to be a slow process. I am resigned to having to breakdown the crate around Pele in order to free and then move her.   I have removed the bottom bolts as well as the screws on top to free the ramp.   I removed one of the top pieces of wood that surrounds the top vent in hopes of being able to remove the wood crate myself, but because of the size and the general bulk I cannot get sufficient leverage to lift up the crate myself which is why I'm going to have to break it down.  Work calls for now until later today when I can resume the project.

I did cancel my traveling vacation which I had scheduled from Wednesday through Sunday so that I could be at home with Pele – I wanted to be sure you all knew of my dedication and my first official sacrifice to her! 

;-)

Edited by KevinD

I hope I'm not double posting but the system seems to be behaving oddly...

Possible lesson learned though I will have to confirm with Dennis or perhaps the rest of you can chime in with your best recollections… 

As I was working to uncrate Pele I noticed that the way the bottom of the crate/supports were constructed around the wheels it would seem that they are meant to roll off the side that corresponds with the front of the KK. For anyone that ends up having to unpack in a semi confined space, make sure that the pallet is placed so that that side, has plenty of room for the roll off. In my case that did not happen so I find myself removing more wood bracing on the bottom of the pallet so that I can roll Pele off from a different side.

The left side of the picture is the front of Pele and I literally have 4 feet from the edge of the pallet so I'm going to have to roll her off from a different direction.  

image.jpeg

Edited by KevinD
  • Like 2

I have freed Pele from the pallet that Dennis' bondage master bound her to, and with the assistance of a couple boxes of coffee char, was able to do a controlled roll down the top of the crate ramp and she now sits behind the Bricklin.

i was certain that per the dimensions I had that I could fit her sideways through the back garage door but I'm doubting what I see. I will have to grab a tape measure to be certain.  I really don't want to try rolling her on plywood sheeting though my side yard and through a fence gate.   I'm pretty certain that is beyond me as a one-man job given the rise from the grass to the concrete patio. Much easier to get it to the back garage door where I have just a three-quarter inch lip to fight. 

Edited by KevinD

It is the side yard for me as no matter which direction I take her through the door I have either a 30 or 31" width to fight which is too big to fit through my door.  Side yard it is...perhaps I can use the crate top as a ramp to make the rise from the plywood on the grass to my patio.  Will have to hope that with my own body mass and leg strength I can get it done - ugh!

@KevinD - I used a couple of sheets of 1/2" OSB and 3 friends to move TheBeast around the house to the back porch.  It is decidedly NOT a job for one.  It can be done, but it would be a helluva workout.  If there is any kind of slope, forget it!  I bribed my guys with beer and BBQ.  They are serious BBQ fans so it was a no brainer who I called!

Houston - this is Pele control.  Reporting transition from garage environment and successful ascent and landing on the back patio with minimal issues.  Found that rotatation while maintaining forward trajectory was the best way to acheive and maintain target pathway across plywood placed over grassy surface. Despite many cracking sounds from plywood compression, we achieved the goal.

Proceeding to staging platform for unwrap and set-up stage.  Next communication should commence shortly before loading of fuel and ignition for primary burn in.  Regret to report that initial cook will not, repeat, will not commence  until tomorrow at approximately 1100 hours PDT.  We will however immediately commence consuming cold liquid alcoholic supplies as we progress into the evening hours...

Pele control, signing out...

Well,  it felt like a moonshot project as a one-man job... ;-)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1