KevinD

Whoo Hoo - Finally have my shipping info!

Yes, but that's ok...holding at 250 for the next hour and then will start to go up 50* every 1/2 hour eventually arriving at 550* and hold there for a couple hours.  I'm hoping for "the smell" somewhere in those 2 hours.

While not not ideal, I do have some backyard lighting and will augment with a big adjustable flashlight to help with sighting any lifting tiles, white oozing, combined with feeling for raised spots and go from there.   I have my trusty t-pin to relieve any observed venting.  I know after that point I should be able to allow Pele to cool while pressing down on any raised spots. 

I will do my first rib cook tomorrow during the day,  followed by another gradual rise to high temps and another venting opportunity… 

I find it rather appropriate that Pele will be venting since that's what volcanoes do as part of their natural course... :-) 

• Like 3

At night is great with a flash light you can see the steam when you shine the light.  

Park it at 550 and let that run out of lump.  Maybe do a top up too once you get to 550.  Let it go until you don't smell anything.   If it stops smelling at 550 then slowly bring it up to 600 and let the old burn out.   

OK it's about 1:15 in the morning Pacific Coast time and I just closed up Pele after about seven hours of running time.  I did not bother checking the calibration of the  thermometer before  mounting it so I'm hoping it is accurate. I didn't get any smell until approximately 650°.   I had it sitting at  550°  for a couple hours and then took it up to  600° and still nothing so gave  650° a shot and then I began to get "the smell."  I let it run at  650°  for about a half an hour and then closed the cap Just a bit to back down below  600° and kept it there until just recently. I observed dribbles of the white material in a few spots though no lifting of tiles. Backed it down to about 550° and then 500°, and have now closed Pele up for the night, lightly snuggling down the cap  followed a couple of minutes later by closing down the lower vents.

But for the higher temperatures I needed to get "the smell", I seemed to have had an uneventful burn-in… 

Edited by KevinD
  • Like 3

that is good to hear.  For the most part, the square tiles vent less as there is far less grout then there is on the pebble.  You may pick up a few more smells over the next few cooks, but like Ckreef said to me, after several cooks it will likely stop as long as you got the initial venting done properly.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KevinD said:

OK it's about 1:15 in the morning Pacific Coast time and I just closed up Pele after about seven hours of running time.  I did not bother checking the calibration of the  thermometer before  mounting it so I'm hoping it is accurate. I didn't get any smell until approximately 650°.   I had it sitting at  550°  for a couple hours and then took it up to  600° and still nothing so gave  650° a shot and then I began to get "the smell."  I let it run at  650°  for about a half an hour and then closed the cap Just a bit to back back down below  600° and kept it there until just recently. I observed dribbles of the white material in a few spots though no lifting of tiles. Backed it down to about 550° and then 500°, and have now closed Pele up for the night, lightly snuggling down the cap  followed a couple of minutes later by closing down the lower vents.

But for the higher temperatures I needed to get "the smell", I seemed to have had an uneventful burn-in… 

Sounds like everything went about as smoothly as possible. It is impressive you were able to control the temp that well having never used the kk before.