Nuprin

A little sooner than expected and hello from NC

We can upgrade the front latch.. to a CNC cut one with roller bearing and cam. We also have springs that are zinc and nickel plated then sprayed inside with a clear plastic coating for rust protection.

Looks like you have some carbon steel contamination on the sheet metal right and left of the handle.. this needs to be cleaned up.. it will be very thin surface rust.  We can also upgrade your front draft door dial with a new spring loaded version with new knobs.  Your grates could also be upgraded from 1/4" to 3/8" too.

Please do NOT try to remove the firebox to clean the grill.. It's surely wedged in and has crazing. It's fine the way it is but could easily break from the force needed to unwedge it.

• Like 3

Really great looking KK. Other than a little wear and tear looks brand new.

Dennis basically addressed this in the post above but I'll post anyway.

As for the spring - KK Springs are not SS because SS is not a good material to make a large springs out of. With that said the surface rust on the spring shouldn't really effect anything other than its looks. Once you install the spring plate you'll hardly notice.

As for any other surface rust on the SS - something I just recently learned is that SS can and at times rusts. Here is a really good article that explains why with paragraph #3 and #4 really relating to a grill environment. Check it out it's a good read.

https://www.polymersolutions.com/blog/why-does-stainless-steel-rust/

Can wait to see some pictures of you cooking on your new KK.

Reef's Bistro

Yes we found the best material is  AISI 1095 carbon spring steel.  Hard as hell but gets surface rust in minutes..  We then put them in a stretcher to open them up a bit. Then they are rolled, blasted to degrease and remove surface rust.  Now completely clean, they are first electroplated zinc and chromate conversion coated before spraying the inside with a clear ruberized coating.  After 12 years playing with the springs this is the best we've found.

This is one of my very early OTB grills.. July 2006  It was pre-machined interlocking lip.  The new food grade silicone gasket would not last indefinately on a flat surface.

Yes we found the best material is  AISI 1095 carbon spring steel.  Hard as hell but gets surface rust in minutes..  We then put them in a stretcher to open them up a bit. Then they are rolled, blasted to degrease and remove surface rust.  Now completely clean, they are first electroplated zinc and chromate conversion coated before spraying the inside with a clear ruberized coating.  After 12 years playing with the springs this is the best we've found.

This is one of my very early OTB grills.. July 2006  It was pre-machined interlocking lip.  The new food grade silicone gasket would not last indefinately on a flat surface.

Others have said when you get a KK you wished you got it sooner not in my case I'm stoked that I'm getting one now so much improvement not knocking your earlier versions at all just great to be geating one that has been smoothed out and I'm sure once I get mine you will alter it somehow

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill♨

the cool thing is that they are always evolving in design.  But in all honesty they are all built so well that it really is non issue.

I have been around this forum for a while and see more preserved KKs than I see ones with problems.  The only thing that has drastically changed in design over the years that can't be changed is the grout.  Everything else can be upgraded without issue.  Dennis takes care of his customers better than anyone that I know, and if he figures out a better way, he will make sure that it can be incorporated in earlier designs.  

It is true that once you get one, you will say that you should have gotten one sooner