xraydoc

The wait begins...

Hi all,

I've been coveting the KKs for over a year now (I have the website permanently saved in my phones browser window so that I can check it every day or two.) Finally, last Friday, I convinced the wife to let me make the order! I am now a soon to be owner of a Terra Blue 32.  I can't wait! IT is still on the boat though.  Hoping for mid-August.

Now I am spending my time now thinking up names and planning cooks.  Once I get comfortable, I have promised my wife brisket.  She is from Texas, and ultimately, this promise is what sealed the deal.  I am also eager to try making my own bacon. This forum is a great place for recipes, tips, and general help on all things KK. I am sure I will be turning to all of you for advice in the near future.  

First question - We want to incorporate our new KK as the centerpiece of an as yet unbuilt outdoor kitchen.  Does anyone out there have pics of theirs in such a setting? I have looked through all of the photos pages.  While the grills are stunning on their own, most of the pics are (rightfully) centered on the grill only. Just looking for ideas to share with contractors and architects. Thanks for any help you can give and looking forward to my new best friends arrival!

• Like 1

Welcome xraydoc, I am also anxiously awaiting a terra blue kk in the 23" size. You're right about this place being a great forum for everything kk.

Can't answer your question but I am also trying to think up a new home for my kk. I ordered the cover for the interim and harsh conditions when they come but I want something out of the weather and possibly island charmed. I would love to see what you come up with. Houzz is a decent place for ideas. Most outdoor kitchen plans could incorporate a custom space.

welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase.  What got you looking into the KK?  

You will absolutely love it and we will teach you everything about KK brisket. Hope to see you stick around.  

Here is my absolute favourite outdoor kitchen. It belongs to 5698k (Robert)

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome to the KK family! I too am waiting for my TerraBlue though it is a 23.  The picture above is nice as are others showing the KK as part of some sort of island or similar structure. What I've noted on a few of them is what appears to be a lack of unobstructed access; or at least partial obstruction from some angle of partial side approach.

Mine will free stand next to an substantial grill island I built for my Lynx 42 gas grill. While I have my own ideas that I will share in a moment, I think  you would be well served to first cook with your new KK in a freestanding environment so that you can get used to how you yourself will actually be using it, both from an ease of setting it up for individual cooks, putting on the food, moving it around as it cooks on the various levels or positions on the grates, and how you will be removing your food (especially for huge sized meats.   Once you have done that, then you can sit down and think about what you might want to build around it and the impact of that structure on your access. 

Another consideration is cleaning it out and exterior cleaning as needed. While our KK's are on wheels, how easy is it going to be to pull something out of an enclosure that weighs 1000 pounds if you really want/need to get access to all areas of the bottom for cleaning out or doing whatever it is you might need to do?   I have seen mention of  shop vacs and if you go that route you pretty much can forget about having to get ashes out via the doors at the bottom.  Thinking about this begs the question: do you go ahead and build something that surrounds the KK except for the front, or do you build something that is open front and back?  In this case it's really not enclosed but is flanked by your island structure?

The idea of a tightly integrated KK has a lot of appeal but for the reasons I mentioned above, I wonder how practical it really is? 

Edited by KevinD

I use the shop vac with drywall filter, this is how I'd clean ash regardless of location. I've had no issues at all, additionally, it rolls rather easily, but the only reason I did roll it out once was to adjust the spring. Cleaning the exterior is not an issue either, as there's room for that in its space, but again, it rolls rather easily. As far as cooking on it in general, I find that there's plenty of room to to anything you want/need, there's plenty of room for everything. I would not consider a total enclosure though, there are reasons to have the front exposed.

Rob

@xraydoc - welcome to the world of KK and welcome to The Obsession!  I own a black pebble 32" known as TheBeast  and it's the finest cooker I've ever owned.  You will find your KK BB 32 to be the easiest cooker you've ever used.  Everything about the KK is so well thought out you find yourself wondering why you ever delayed your purchase.  Welcome again; it only gets better from here!

Welcome all of you to the KK Family. It's an open and welcoming community. 

Robert's kitchen is one the best that I've seen here. Also, explore the teak cabinet options with Dennis. He can custom make you just about anything you want. Bosco has a nice set-up with his 2 KKs. 

@Robert - That is a very nice setup.  I especially like the way that the tiles on the grill and the color of the brick complement each other.  We have discussed using overrun tiles from the terra blue or ordering a few more and using them as accents or backsplash as we build.  I do not think I want a total enclosure.  She is too pretty to keep covered up! 

@KevinD - you make excellent points.  Fortunately, I will have plenty of time to get used to her before building the kitchen.  Initially, we were going to wait and include the purchase as part of our remodel budget, but getting a good contractor that wants to do the work around here has proven a challenge.  As we just couldn't wait any longer, we went ahead and bought her.  That means I will have plenty of time after she gets her before I have to worry about enclosures or anything else.

That said, the pictures and suggestions are great! It really gets me thinking and it helps to get the wife as excited about this as I am.

As I write this I realize I keep referring to the new BB32 as a "her".  I'm not sure.  Should she be a she? or a he? Boats are generally named after the fairer sex, but what about grills????

Welcome xraydoc. You will be so pleased. I purchased my first 23" 10 years ago and became, in family and friends eyes, a BBQ legend. During my two girls' teen years we were the 'go to' house for all the cooks after swim meets, softball, baseball, etc etc etc. I, at both of my daughters request I was their chef for the rehearsal dinners....110 people w/ 12 beef tenderloins for #1 and 70 people w/ BB ribs and pulled pork for #2. 

I am awaiting delivery of a 32" in the next couple days and have donated my 23" to a nephew. Both my girls and hubbies, plus one set of outlaws from TN, plus Dad in law, bro/sis in law + nephew/niece + 4 yr old (who I am proud to say I taught how to make bridges out of yard sticks between the furniture for matchbox cars) will be arriving on the 14th for the annual Blue Angels Homecoming air show on Pensacola Beach.  35 people total...10 in our the house and 25 in two houses out at the beach (across the intercoastal WW) 

Among other things we have one total get together planned where I am cooking a 15# WAGYU Packer Brisket, and probably 6 racks of BBR + maybe a butt or two. It is truly an obsession. I've been pretty quiet on the forum the past 4 or 5 years...still cooking obsessively....while along the way there were 2 high school then college graduations...then 2 weddings. When the various family segments aren't coming here (which they do a lot because we live at the beach) I am expected to bring treats when we visit....usually ribs. I love the constant kudos and as my wife will tell you...nobody likes my cooking more than me!:-o

Merritt Island has some great windsurfing spots. Do you know or know of Tinho Dornellas of Calema Watersports? http://calema.com/windsurfing/ Kelly Park is famous world wide in boardsailing circles.

Anyway....welcome! 

(PS) Pick up an open end 3/8# wrench next time you're at the hardware store. About $3 and the last grill cleaning tool you will ever need.

• Like 1

@twharton Great post.  It is amazing how everyone suddenly wants to come visit when you move to Florida.  We keep a reservation book so we know who is coming and when.  Now, they will have another reason to come visit, besides the beaches and fantastic weather! It sounds like you have had some great times and great memories around your grill.  My family is still young (two boys 13 and 11) so hopefully, we still have a lot of that to go!

I do know Tinho.  My boys have done the summer water sports camp with him for the past several years. Kelly Park is great for boardsailing.  There is also a place they call the slick that is world renowned for kite boarding.  We are lucky to live in such a wonderful place!

I will take your advice on the wrench!

• Like 1

I'm  swinging from both sides of the plate with my two KKs.  First came TheBeast.  Given his size, it only seemed a natural moniker.  Then came Beauty!.  That just kind of flowed ... Beauty! and TheBeast.  I think you get an idea of what the name should be given the circumstances when you first start cooking on the KK.  Just me and as @tony b knows so well, I'm just a bit twisted!