Nuprin

KK and KJ Pork Tenderloin Comparison

So after my first cook in which I did a pork tenderloin that came out absolutely fabulous, I decided to cook more (because friends wanted it after I told them how good it was) but this time also cooking one on the KJ Classic.  Had a friend over who blind taste tested the two.  "Night and Day" was his first response.  Not only was the one from KK juicer, but the flavors were so much more intense throughout the middle parts too.  It was even close.  Both were cooked at 350f-400f until 160ish internal.

IMG_3951.JPG

IMG_3949.JPG

IMG_3939.JPG

Sorry, bottom picture was from a last cook.  I couldn't figure out how to delete from the post.

Edited by Nuprin
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, bosco said:

KJ classic for sale by owner...

all these years on the guru hearing people say it's not the cooker.. It's the cook.  

Well now you know 

Yeah, getting ready to put either the Classic or the Big Joe along with my Weber performer up for sale soon.   Now I'm even contemplating maybe getting a 16" hightop and selling both KJs since the 16" would be perfect for "just us" cooks for a couple of steaks or chicken breasts.  I think a consultation with the Ckreefs is in order about their 16".  

I would personally get the 19 table top.  The 16 is great don't get me wrong but I think the 19 and 23 is the perfect combo for you.  

Going from the 18 and 24 joe to a 19 and 23 is the perfect fix.  Plus you can still spin meat on a 19.   

do it!  You will never appreciate the old cooked once you use a KK 

Having both the 19" and 16.5" and cooking for 3 people - any simple weeknight cook goes on the 16.5" everytime. For searing I would much rather use the 16.5" as long as all the protein fits. Don't need a second rotisserie setup.

Low-n-slow usually goes on the 19" but not always.

Basically if the cook fits on the 16.5" that's what I use. If it's a big or multi part cook I split it up between the 2 depending on what makes sense.

Bigger is not always better.

Reef's Bistro

Peer pressure...you guys are bad, bad, bad  :cool:  

The reason why I was thinking about selling the Classic and keeping the Big Joe is that once in a while, maybe once a month or two, I'll do a big cook that involves about 10 shoulders or 8 racks of ribs. I can get 7 on the Big Joe with the extender rack and 3 on the Classic without the extender rack.  We are planning on moving in a year so I don't want to move a 32" twice.  I would have a hard time convincing the wife to get a 32" and a 16.5" next year.  I thought if I could sneak in a 16.5" this year, it wouldn't be too tough to move.  I have a table I can set it on so no need for the stand.  The 19" to me, seems to be a bit too close to the 23" but I could be wrong.  In my mind I'm thinking a 16.5" would be quick to fire up for those weekly "just us" meals at about a grand less money.   Then I could cry about not having the capacity to do large cooks thus the need for the 32".  

First off, it's no surprise that the KK won the blind taste test.  As Rob repeatedly says, it's cant be the cooker!  But nobody will say that the KK makes every cook so much easier and that the KK actually makes you a better cook.  Rob, you're so right!

Secondly, I own a 19"TT, aka Beauty!, as wellas a KK BB 32 known as TheBeast.  If you already have a primary KK for big cooks, long cooks, etc, (and that's TheBeast), then in my mind the 19" TT is a stunning compliment to the primary.  For really quick cooks the 19" TT really shines.  My guess is that we're I to use the basket splitter on TheBeast, it would perform just like the 19.  But I switch out basket in TheBeast when I change charcoals.  That means Beauty! gets a lot of work during the week.  It also means I'm probably lazy not changing out charcoals, but the versatility of the KK and having the real versatility of two KKs makes up for me being the lazy schmuck I am!

Just my experience.  

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

I like your reasoning, Nuprin. It should work perfectly. :) (Both, the idea and the grill) :smt023:smt023

Haha thanks.  With the wife, she is more compromising with me buying stuff if we use it often, otherwise if it sits there, even if it only cost a dollar, she would get mad.  Sneaking in a relatively affordable 16.5", I know we would use it all the time just like the Classic vs the Big Joe. But since I got a good deal on the 23", she wouldn't tell me to sell it.  I mean a second small KK is better than no second KK right?  <--- I can come up with lots of reasons when I need to :-D 

• Like 2

Haha thanks.  With the wife, she is more compromising with me buying stuff if we use it often, otherwise if it sits there, even if it only cost a dollar, she would get mad.  Sneaking in a relatively affordable 16.5", I know we would use it all the time just like the Classic vs the Big Joe. But since I got a good deal on the 23", she wouldn't tell me to sell it.  I mean a second small KK is better than no second KK right?   

Absolutely and you'll use the 16.5" way more than you think. Also it's easier to swallow that pill now compared to a 32". When you move into the new house a 32" will be a natural purchase.

It's easier to start small and move up. If I would have started at the 19" I would have never bought the 16.5" Fortunately I started small and Mrs skreef suggested the 19"

Bigger is not always better.

Reef's Bistro

• Like 1

So after my first cook in which I did a pork tenderloin that came out absolutely fabulous, I decided to cook more (because friends wanted it after I told them how good it was) but this time also cooking one on the KJ Classic.  Had a friend over who blind taste tested the two.  "Night and Day" was his first response.  Not only was the one from KK juicer, but the flavors were so much more intense throughout the middle parts too.  It was even close.  Both were cooked at 350f-400f until 160ish internal.

IMG_3951.JPG

IMG_3949.JPG

IMG_3939.JPG

Sorry, bottom picture was from a last cook.  I couldn't figure out how to delete from the post.

Do you think cooking the tenderloin on the kj on the bottom rack direct closer to the coals and cooking the tenderloin on the KK on the upper rack away from the coals played a part I sure the KK will be better that's why I'm getting one

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill♨

5 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

Do you think cooking the tenderloin on the kj on the bottom rack direct closer to the coals and cooking the tenderloin on the KK on the upper rack away from the coals played a part I sure the KK will be better that's why I'm getting one

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill♨

I don't think the grate difference had much to do with it.  Also, the KK cooked closer to 400f while the KJ cooked more around 350f and took about the same time to finish, with half the tenderloins coming off the KK before the KJ.  I even left a few of the tenderloins on the KK char a bit on the bottom but the results were the same.  

• Like 1