Gnomatic

Room To Spare

So my sister is hosting a Pelotonia prep ride fund raiser tomorrow, and I was asked to make smoked pulled pork for the picnic afterwards.  By her calculations, she is requiring over 50lbs of pork(before cooking) for the event.

The challenge:  Could I stuff six pork shoulders, 54lbs worth, on my 23" KK?

0716161903c.jpg

The answer:  No problem.

0716161953d.jpg

Could have fit a seventh shoulder on the top rack if I needed without much issue, which would have taken the total amount of meat north of 60lbs on a 23" KK.  That's a lot of meat!

I'll follow up tomorrow with the results of this stuffed KK cook.  Wish me luck!

• Like 4

This worked out great.  I had the grill good and heat soaked before loading the meat, but even so, with 50lbs+ of cold meat, the temp fell below 200F.  It took quite a while for my grill to climb back to my target temp at 250F.  Pulled off around 11am this morning and it was absolutely fall apart tender.  Ended up being a 15hr smoke.   I sent it with my sister as the picnic was set to start at 1pm.  I couldn't make it till ten minutes to four, and by then, this was all that was left.

0717161552a.jpg

That disappeared quickly(as did the four large cabbage heads we chopped for the slaw) and it turned out great.   Told my sister if she needs me to smoke more pork for next year's event, she'll need to by me a 32" KK.  :-D

• Like 2