Memphishusky

First brisket

Ok this was the first true test. The ribs were easy compared to this cook. 

Started with a 7.65 full packer brisket. Trimmed 1.5 lbs of fat off. Did a dry salt brine for 14 hours. The next morning I fired up the KK32 "501 Strauss" to 225 and then used Meathead's "Big Bad Beef" rub to lather up the meat. 

I used some Best of the West mesquite lump, but only about 5 or 6 pieces of the biggest pieces. I complimented those pieces with 4 chunks of pecan. Two of those pieces I wrapped in heavy foil but cut slits to expose the wood. 

At the 1.5 hour mark I dropped two more chunks of pecan in without foil. No more wood. Smoke was visible for about 3 , maybe 4 hours and then it was gone. 

Temps got up to 275, which was surprising. I think it was a mix of getting the KK to hot and not being able to back it down plus the fact it was 94 today and the KK was in the sun for the whole cook. 

I had planned on the cook lasting 6 to 6.5 hours......wrong. It took 9 to get the thickest parts to 190-ish. By this time it had been on for 9. A bit frustrated and needing to feed people, I pulled it and wrapped it in foil for 15 minutes. 

Cut and served. We served it with pinto beans that I had in the KK for the first two smokey hours (highly recommend), green chile hominy and a sweet Cole slaw. I threw a flour tortilla on mine. Every plate was cleaned so though I did not "nail it" it was thoroughly enjoyed. 

Here are some shots. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1