Pequod

How Many, What Size, Where/How to Deploy?

First step in this journey, help me answer the subject questions. Let's pretend money and spousal consent isn't a barrier for a moment :wink:. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

1) How Many?

I think this one is easy -- I like having two cookers for both capacity and flexibility in terms of temps and cook types when cooking for a crowd (20-30'ish hosted at our house twice per year). Don't know if I'd buy both at once, but two makes sense.

2) What Size(s)?

I currently have a six-shelf, 1500 square inch smoker that runs from 225-325o and has been my go-to for larger cooks. For those cooks I'm often running at capacity with two meats plus sides and appetizers. Don't need to have all that in one cooker (although it is comparable to a 32" KK), but want that cumulative capacity and/or a bit more. My first inclination is a pair of 23's, but would like to better understand the advantages of the others (both smaller and larger) before settling on that. Moving away from a dedicated smoker to two versatile Kamado's opens the range of cook styles for when we host crowds (grilling, rotisserie, etc.).

3) Where/How to Deploy?

See the attached image. That's my house (ignore the neighbor uphill). I post this because I'm expecting challenges in getting any KK to it's destination in my backyard. Trucks stop at the top of the driveway. They'd hand truck my crated KK to my garage. But, there's no walkway to the back corner of my house, and the red lines highlight the sloping terrain from front (high) to back (low and sloping). Any KK will have to be carried by multiple burly folk (that's not me) down sloping terrain. Further, that white structure is my sunroom with wood deck underneath -- not the optimal spot for any grill, but I currently survive by rolling my cookers into the yard, than back to the deck between cooks. That won't work for a KK (there's a small step down from the deck), so if I'm to do this I'm thinking I need to build a small patio area with large stone pavers off the deck and leave the KK(s) in the open. Any advice on moving a KK into position over sloped terrain with burly folk to deploy on an open patio?  Others done this?  I'm thinking the heft of a 32" and the terrain to be navigated takes a 32 off the table.

Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at 9.04.21 AM.png

I'm thinkin a 32", and a 23". This will give all kinds of capacity, plus, the 23" is just a bit smaller for such cooks the 32 isn't necessary. As far as moving, they roll much more easily than you might think, and moving them over mild terrain is easily accomplished using plywood. I moved my 23 across my yard by myself with plywood. A downslope will be no problem with help. I'm not trying to talk you out of 2 32s', I just like the idea of variety, plus, in my opinion, the 23" is the best looking!

Rob

For those that have both a 32 and another size (23 or smaller), what are the biggest differences you see other than capacity and the shear bulk of the thing? Are there things you prefer to cook on one vs. another? For example, wondering if the 32 is better for 2-zone than a 23.

Money not an object? Simply, helicopter from truck drop to landing zone! Or rent a fork lift and lift driver.  Also while on the subject let's have you build a patio to put the kamado's on that's covered with appropriate ventilation so you can stop having to play patio tic tac toe. 

On a more serious note, I'm glued to this discussion on the size part, my inability to maker a decision cost me the 23 from the Raichlen deal!

Edited by Mrhdvrod

42 minutes ago, Mrhdvrod said:

Money not an object? Simply, helicopter from truck drop to landing zone! Or rent a fork lift and lift driver.  Also while on the subject let's have you build a patio to put the kamado's on that's covered with appropriate ventilation so you can stop having to play patio tic tac toe. 

On a more serious note, I'm glued to this discussion on the size part, my inability to maker a decision cost me the 23 from the Raichlen deal!

Ha! I said pretend money and spousal consent weren't barriers. Let me have my fantasy! :wink:

I read your post yesterday and now this one.  So from what I understand you had several, downgraded to two cookers and were content but love the Kamado, want to get rid of the monster you have and upgrade from a KJ.

So going forward you would likely need multiple cookers.  I had 3 Kamado joes, then 6 plus a few other cookers.  

Got the KKs and got rid of everything else

2 is the perfect number.  

For you it sounds like you cook in volume often

I think a 19 and 23 is awesome but not what you need.  I like the 23 x2 combo and in fact ordered it thinking it would be great sharing accessories.  But still based on what I have read, this is not for you.   32 x2 is a ton of grill and they both would heat up at the same speed and use a bit more lump.

Leading me to believe that the 23 and 32 combo may in fact be perfect combo.  You are happy with what you currently have, and the 23 will be like the big joe but with two extra levels of grilling.  The 32 will replicate you larger smoker.  

You can have the 23 your daily driver so to speak to cover everything from small smoke cooks to grilling for the family.  The 32 is there for the heavy duty loads for larger cooks.  

I love my 23 and 32 combo and very happy that Dennis talked me into it.

I personally would order them together for a few reasons.  First you can get matching KKs so the tile is close.  Second you pay less for delivery.  

As for movement, agreed, a few pieces of plywood and a few buddies and those suckers will move without issue.  

My vote is a 23 and 32 combo!  I am bias, but based on what I am hearing from you that is your best combo

_DSC1381.JPG

• Like 2

Works for me.

First step is to create the patio space off my deck to put these things -- involves HOA approval, so will take a wee bit o' time. Started that process today with wife. 

Second step is to sell my high capacity smoker. Wife was shocked at that idea 'cause she know I love that thing.

Third step is to remind wife of the cash I squirreled away from this year's bonus.

Low and slow. This is a process. 

• Like 1

I'm with everyone else 23 and 32 for starters I would be putting in a fire break around your house that will give you access and help from everything burning down incase of a bushfire I don't know where you live but have seen so many homes go up in smoke because they were not cleared .anyway looks like the seed has been sown hope you sort it all out mate and we get to see some great cooks

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill♨

This old engineer did his thesis on internal aerothermochemistry -- what goes on inside rocket motors -- and spent the early part of his career working on the space shuttle motors. I see twin KK's as strap on boosters. Just crank open those vents and let 'er rip. Problem is we've got a sign error on the thrust vector. 

Alright...enough geeking out for today.  

• Like 2