This is the new KK Cold Smoker made from CNC laser cut components. All parts are from 2mm 304 Stainless steel. (3 1/4 lbs SS) The exhaust nozzle has an adjustable adapter that fits into a BBQ Guru inductor sleeve/ KK BBQ guru port.  Smoker can be lit from the side ports with a torch or with a small piece of burning charcoal can be dropped in. Pump creates vacuum that keeps the wood smoldering for hours.  Burns pellets, chips or small chunks. Bottom has cup to collect drippings and tar. 

Link to Smoker in KK webstore      $220   Introductory BONUS includes Air Pump

Smoker uses an "adjustable"  2.5- 4 liter per minute aquarium pump and 5mm = 3/16" inside diameter silicone tubing.

ColdSmoker1.jpgSmokerCompleteParts.jpg

Air intake tube  is adjustable to create more or less vacuum.

SmokerInject.jpgSmokerLower.jpgSmokerPartsBottom.jpgSmokerTube.jpgSmokerTop.jpg

AirPump45.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Dennis,

Forgive me, but I don't know what I don't know…

I didn't think aquarium pumps did well out of water? I know you would not lead us in the wrong direction so is it safe to say that you've run one of these for hours and hours and hours and had no issue with the aquarium pump? I gather that the black tubing protruding off to the bottom right side was leading to a pump that was out of sight, correct? 

Any particular brand or can we literally just go down to any pet shop and buy an aquarium pump as long it has the correct volume rating? 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, KevinD said:

Hi Dennis,

Forgive me, but I don't know what I don't know…

I didn't think aquarium pumps did well out of water? I know you would not lead us in the wrong direction so is it safe to say that you've run one of these for hours and hours and hours and had no issue with the aquarium pump? I gather that the black tubing protruding off to the bottom right side was leading to a pump that was out of sight, correct? 

Any particular brand or can we literally just go down to any pet shop and buy an aquarium pump as long it has the correct volume rating? 

Thanks!

The pump itself is exterior to the water for air intake, which is pumped though a small flexible hose into a diffuser stone in the water, if used in an aquarium, or into the intake on the cold smoker unit for this use (no diffuser needed for the cold smoker). Dennis (and I) suggest using silicone hose rather than PVC for this purpose because if its heat resistance. Hobby shops sell silicone tubing intended for model aircraft engines that works great - or you can get it online. I don't know if the pet store will have silicone tubing or not, but they will probably have a small barbed union for the hose that has a screw to allow you to throttle the volume of air - or it may come with the pump. This is nice for regulating the air flow/burn rate. Any brand will do if it meets the air flow specs.

Dennis, what is the internal diameter of the hose that's required? That pictured looks a little larger than what I'm used to. Thanks!

Edited by BBQKaeding
  • Like 1

On July 19, 2016 at 6:27 PM, BBQKaeding said:

The pump itself is exterior to the water for air intake, which is pumped though a small flexible hose into a diffuser stone in the water, if used in an aquarium, or into the intake on the cold smoker unit for this use (no diffuser needed for the cold smoker). Dennis (and I) suggest using silicone hose rather than PVC for this purpose because if its heat resistance. Hobby shops sell silicone tubing intended for model aircraft engines that works great - or you can get it online. I don't know if the pet store will have silicone tubing or not, but they will probably have a small barbed union for the hose that has a screw to allow you to throttle the volume of air - or it may come with the pump. This is nice for regulating the air flow/burn rate. Any brand will do if it meets the air flow specs.

Dennis, what is the internal diameter of the hose that's required? That pictured looks a little larger than what I'm used to. Thanks!

I measured the outside diameter of the air inlet for the cold smoker and got 25/128 which is basically 3/16". I believe that corresponds to most aquarium tube internal diameters.

• Like 1

I've had a hell of a time easily finding a pump. My biggest challenge has been the lack of adequate documentation on packaging in the stores and even to the extent of poorly detailed specifications online by the various manufacturers which then reflects in the information also lacking at the reseller level. For instance, one of the dominant pump makers that supplies Petco & PetSmart tells you that the pump will serve 10, 20, 50, 100 etc. gallon aquarium tanks. No mention of the air flow rate, nor is it adjustable on the pumps. Of course the help in these stores don't have the in depth knowledge to bridge the gap.

Dennis and perhaps other may disagree with me but I would've have been more than happy to pay Dennis more for the convenience of a "complete solution" that included a suitable pump and an appropriate length of silicone hose.   Even so, I'm betting that Dennis choose not to do this thinking that we would rather have the ability to completely customize the solution to our own specific need/desire.

Maybe this is an issue in only the U.S. since we aren't on the metric standard?  Clearly I need to do a little bit more research online to try to find a pump that fits the need, but I've been distracted by other things and will get to this later.

• Like 1

I've had a hell of a time easily finding a pump. My biggest challenge has been the lack of adequate documentation on packaging in the stores and even to the extent of poorly detailed specifications online by the various manufacturers which then reflects in the information also lacking at the reseller level. For instance, one of the dominant pump makers that supplies Petco & PetSmart tells you that the pump will serve 10, 20, 50, 100 etc. gallon aquarium tanks. No mention of the air flow rate, nor is it adjustable on the pumps. Of course the help in these stores don't have the in depth knowledge to bridge the gap.

Dennis and perhaps other may disagree with me but I would've have been more than happy to pay Dennis more for the convenience of a "complete solution" that included a suitable pump and an appropriate length of silicone hose.   Even so, I'm betting that Dennis choose not to do this thinking that we would rather have the ability to completely customize the solution to our own specific need/desire.

Maybe this is an issue in only the U.S. since we aren't on the metric standard?  Clearly I need to do a little bit more research online to try to find a pump that fits the need, but I've been distracted by other things and will get to this later.

I found this may help you it's a 192 Ltr/ph which works out to 3.2 per minute. http://www.theaquariumshop.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=850&name=Hailea%20ACO%209601%20Aquarium%20Air%20Pump

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

Check out the Fusion air pumps listed on this page. They have the L/pm ratings. This page also has tubing, ball valves etc... Everything you would need.

http://m.drsfostersmith.com/fish-supplies/aquarium-air-pump/ps/c/3578/3669

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, KevinD said:

Search for adjustable air aquarium pumps on amazon and a few show up. They don't all list air flow rates but some do. I also saw several silicon tubing sources on amazon. I believe the 3/16" inside diameter tubing should work fine.

I received my cold smoker already but haven't ordered one of these yet. I probably wouldn't try this here until the weather cools a bit anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions Aussie, CKREEF & Steve...there are a couple hobby stores around me that sell powered model planes so I'm not anticipating issues getting a silicone line to fit once I have a pump in hand.  I guess I've been too hung up on trying to find a pump matching Dennis' recommendations.  In retrospect I guess any pump that would support a 40 or more gallon aquarium is likely going to meet the liter per minute flow we want...

Edited by KevinD

Well, fired mine up for the 1st time last night. Had been brining a piece of Alaskan salmon for 2 days. Rinsed and air dried in refrigerator for several hours. Filled the smoker gun with alder chips (from Fruita). First tried to light it by dropping in a small lit piece of charcoal. It kept going out. So, out came the MAPP torch and I lit'er up through the side hole. Then, turned on the pump and boy did the smoke come out!!! Plugged into the guru port in the KK and smoked poured out of everywhere - out the top vent (just cracked open), out the front and back doors, out the temperature probe port. Crazy! Oh, I had the air tube about 1/2 way in on the screw threads. Made a guess that this was a "medium" setting, with fully inserted is "low" and almost out is "high???"

Since it's been seriously hot and humid here, I wanted to do this as an overnight smoke, as the overnight lows were supposed to be in the low 70sF. So I started this at 10:30pm. I woke up about 4am and went out to check on it. All the wood chips had burned up and the gun was stone cold. Have no idea how long it lasted. So, I reloaded and fired it up again. Went back to bed. Got up around 7am and checked it. It had gone out after burning about a handful of the chips. Stone cold again. So, I called it good and wrapped up the salmon in pink butcher paper. Plan is for bagels and cream cheese Saturday morning. 

I still have no idea how long a tube of chips will burn. So, lesson learned, this thing needs to be baby sat, unlike doing a low & slow cook on the regular KK setup.  Next attempt will be during the day when I can watch it more closely. Thinking smoked pork chops. 

• Like 2

No, I didn't get the adjustable one. Mine is 3 L/min, about midway through the range that Dennis recommended. I will see how much variation I get by adjusting the tube insertion inside the gun. I can also cut the flowrate roughly in half by disconnecting one of the pump outputs (it has 2 that I've tee'd together).

If you have the small SS tube air injection all the way in it makes more vaccuum.. I usually use it about half way in.  I usually make the smoke on the light side if I want it to be a long smoke. If it's a shorter smoke like for a reverse sear, I crank it up and make much thicker/ more dense smoke.

• Like 1