13 minutes ago, ckreef said:

You can also get small in line valves for air lines from any aquarium store. That would let you throttle the pump down to almost nothing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Great. I'll look next time I'm in PetSmart. 

I fill the smoker with small splits of wood up just above the stainless tube.  I then toss a small burning piece of charcoal on the  wood, fill the rest of the tube and close the lid.  I then blow air with my hairdryer through the side holes.. this will make the charcoal glow madly and gets everything going..
I then dial down the pump to the density I'm looking for.  Short smokes get more smoke and long smokes get less.  You can easily top off the wood at any time.  A cheapo hairdryer works great to get everything glowing..

• Like 1

On 8/3/2016 at 11:31 AM, KevinD said:

Dennis and perhaps other may disagree with me but I would've have been more than happy to pay Dennis more for the convenience of a "complete solution" that included a suitable pump and an appropriate length of silicone hose.   Even so, I'm betting that Dennis choose not to do this thinking that we would rather have the ability to completely customize the solution to our own specific need/desire.

It had always been my intention to supply both the pumps and tubes. I started the process buying  the pumps in bulk months ago on Alibaba. Problem with Alibaba is that middle-men pose as factories. I went three a couple of posers before I finally went with a factory who wanted a much larger min order than the others.  I had preferred to pay more per pump and buy a smaller min.  but the middle-men are less than professional and their English is atrocious.  

After settling on a factory, sending them a transfer,  I requested the 220v pumps sent to Indonesia by airmail. The factory sent them air cargo, the BOL /freight invoice read $1780 for the air freight (was actually $250)  Indonesian customs wanted to charge me duty on this plus the pumps.  We abandoned the pumps at customs.

The pumps that were sent to the US arrived almost 3 months after payment without an invoice and packing list.. they showed up two weeks later.  After 10 days we created our own invoice and packing list to avoid more demurrage charges.  They are finally there but they were so late I did not want to miss more of the grilling season.