twharton

Charcoal Consumption (or lack of)

We had a party the other night that ended up being 37 adults.  On the KK 32: 1 x 14.7# WAGYU Brisket, 9 X Racks of BB Ribs, 24 X Boneless / Skinless Chicken Thighs

At 9 pm Monday after pre-loading the basket with almost an entire box of Coffee Lump Charcoal (it's all that would fit) and lit the fire. 

IMG_5646.JPG

Brought it up to 225. At Midnight I put the brisket on. At 9:30 the next morning I put the 9 racks of ribs. At 4 pm I removed the brisket. The ribs were done so I left them on but closed all vents.  At 5:30 pm I removed the ribs and I put the chicken on and opened all the vents. (Indirect in center..full throttle on the side).

IMG_5694.JPG

At 6:pm the chicken was done so I removed it and shut all the vents to extinguish the fire.

Here is what is left from not quite an entire box. I don't know how long it took to extinguish but the fire was actively in use for 21 hours...low and slow for 20 and WOT for an hour. If I was to remove all the ash I would estimate I still had 1/3 box left. Add in the unused from the box and easily 1/2 box.  AMAZING!!!  :smt038:smt038:smt038 

IMG_5779.JPG

• Like 3

@5698k Are those your daughters behind you? :shock:  

My daughter, wife, son in law all drove to NOLA today to take him to the airport to fly to Philadelphia to play in this  https://www.thetournament.com/   and in three weeks he starts a job on the coaching staff of the Golden State Warriors. So happy for him plus I'll have a free place to stay in the Bay Area.

Anyway I told / directed them to a late lunch at Muriel's on Jackson Square because he'd never been to the city before...normally would have gone to Herbsaint or La Petite Grocery or Liuzza's on Iberville by Mercy Hospital or Deanies Seafood in Bucktown. I don't know how long you've lived there...me 10 wonderful years from 1979 to 1989 (Go Green Wave!). I remember when you couldn't give away Saints tickets...when they were called "The Aint's" and fans wore paper bags on their heads....HAHA.

I LOVE your home town!!!!!

2 hours ago, twharton said:

@CeramicChef  I was already used to this on the 23 inch OTB I've been cooking on for the last 10 years but assumed that on the 32 inch there would be more consumption. I love it when I'm wrong ha ha . :cool:

@twharton - please, the name is Ken.  CeramicChef sounds so dadgummed formal!  And i'm anything but formal.  

I remember the first low-n-slow, a butt, I did on TheBeast.  Now my previous kamados were BGEs and Primos and I was used to how much lump I could expect to consume during the cook.  With TheBeast being much larger, i expected about a 50% imcrease in lump usage.  At the end of the butt cook in TheBeast and after everything had cooled, I pulled everything apart.  I was gobsmacked at how little lump had been burned in the belly of TheBeast.  This was the single most efficient burn I had seen.  I was simply amazed.

I had heard the story about a 225°F burn that lasted 80 hours.  At first I was sort of skeptical.  I am a four-square believer after I went over 50 hours at 350°F on a full load of lump.  These KKs are the most efficient kamados I've ever seen.  

Dennis has really thought through this system.

• Like 1

@5698k Are those your daughters behind you? :shock:  

My daughter, wife, son in law all drove to NOLA today to take him to the airport to fly to Philadelphia to play in this  https://www.thetournament.com/   and in three weeks he starts a job on the coaching staff of the Golden State Warriors. So happy for him plus I'll have a free place to stay in the Bay Area.

Anyway I told / directed them to a late lunch at Muriel's on Jackson Square because he'd never been to the city before...normally would have gone to Herbsaint or La Petite Grocery or Liuzza's on Iberville by Mercy Hospital or Deanies Seafood in Bucktown. I don't know how long you've lived there...me 10 wonderful years from 1979 to 1989 (Go Green Wave!). I remember when you couldn't give away Saints tickets...when they were called "The Aint's" and fans wore paper bags on their heads....HAHA.

I LOVE your home town!!!!!

I would have been happy to have been a guide. If you ever have family come this way, IM me.

Rob

There are two new types of insulation added since the early days.. The Cabot aerogel (the thermal conductivity of the particles is 12 mW/mK)  in the vermiculite insulation and the acrylic insulation that is both the adhesive and grout has nano ceramic spheres.  The two of them held 50-70º more heat in. Amazing materials.

• Like 1