CeramicChef

Smoked Salmon on TheBeast

Howdy KKers!

I've been craving smoked salmon lately, so the last time I was in Sam's Club, I bought a couple of fillets and cooked them last night for my dinner guests.

Here is a pic of the fillets fresh from the packaging.

IMG_1528.jpg

I made up a dry brine of brown sugar, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, cinnamon, and all spice.  Here are the fillets' covered with the mixture.

IMG_1529.jpg

I covered the dish and put it in the refrigerator for about 15 hours.  As you can see a great deal of moisture has been drawn out of the fish fillets.

IMG_1532.jpg

Rinse the fillets and pat them dry.  Then set the fillets on a drying rack back in the refrigerator for about 4 - 5 hours.  This is what your fillets should look like right before you place them in the cooking grate in your kamado.  

IMG_1533.jpg

And it's on to the cooking grate in TheBeast.  I smoked these fillets for about 2 hours @ 175F using Alder and Peach chunks.

IMG_1534.jpg

Here is a picture of the fillets right after they were pulled off the cooking grate.  You can tell they are dome by the little droplets of the cream colored liquid that you can see on the fillets.  

IMG_1535.jpg

Here is a closer picture of the cooked fillets.

IMG_1536.jpg

Finally, here is the plated shot.  The fillets were served with KK roasted potatoes and a vinegar based cole slaw, the recipe of which is posted in the recipe section.

IMG_1538.jpg

As you can see, Pete The Salt Pig heartily approves of us eating heart healthy.  

This is an easy cook and only takes a few minutes prep time in the kitchen.  

Thanks for looking.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

That is a very nice looking dinner, CC. :) Now that's how fish should be served. Beautiful colour on the salmon and the veggies looks delicious too. :) :smt023 :smt023

@MacKenzie - thank you very much.  I appreciate that.  The veggies, potatoes roasted in Beauty!, and the cole slaw set the fish off beautifully.  Thanks again!

40 minutes ago, Shuley said:

That fish looks absolutely beautiful. I am just wondering what cooking at a temp like that would result in texturally? I have never done a low and slow salmon, is the result like when you buy packaged smoked salmon?

Shelly - the salmon was really done perfectly.  It was flaky, moist, and had just the right amount of smoke on it.  I can't compare it to commercially smoke salmon as I've never eaten any.  

Hello Ken  wow that looks so tasty and the Cole slaw  almost looks like kimchi did you say the receipts are here in the  forum? i'm going to have to try that.  It's kind of funny that you posted this cooking salmon today because last night about two in the morning I was looking on YouTube on how to cold smoke some salmon, I just bought the cold smoker and figure that'll be the first thing I do is make some smoke salmon.  Have a great weekend

• Like 1

@Bruce Pearson - thanks for the kind words.  I appreciate it greatly.

Here is the slaw recipe.  IT was from Herman's Seafood House here in OKC that was quite famous.

Here is a recipe for cole slaw, not original to me, from a famous seafood restaurant here in OKC that people rave about.  

Herman’s Cole Slaw

Ingredients:
1 head cabbage, thinly sliced
 2 onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 - 3/4 cup vegetable oil (Use 1/2 cup of oil for a more vinegar taste)
2 bottles of sliced pimentos

Directions:
Shred cabbage & onions. Cover with the 1/2 cup sugar. Set aside for about one hour. Boil vinegar, 2 Tbsp sugar, mustard, salt, and celery seed; pour over cabbage while hot. Add grated diced pimientos. Add garlic & salad oil. Let set 24 hours; serve cold. It is quite tart, so add sugar "to taste". Will keep in refrigerator for weeks.

My guests like this slaw so much that it has become standard fare whenever I entertain.  

Enjoy!  Let me how you like it.  It's simple, quick, and because it is vinegar based, I have no worries about temps on tables.  NOTE: I tend to use Splenda as some of my guest are diabetics.  1 to 1 substitution works just fine.

Here is the link to the original post here at the KK Forum.

Edited by CeramicChef
  • Like 1

On July 24, 2016 at 5:18 AM, Bruce Pearson said:

Hi Tony my smoker will be here on Tuesday. Did you watch that video from Steven Raichlen About cold smoking salmon? It looks so good. Have fun with your new toy.

Between this topic and my seeing the latest S.R. project smoke with the cold smoked salmon, it pushed me over the edge and made me order the KK Cold Smoker accessory NOW!  I had always intended to buy one, but was in no hurry to do it...

It was a mildly expensive weekend as in addition to the cold smoker I also went online and reviewed Sous Vide products on the market and ended up ordering the Anova Wifi version.  I'll have the lay the responsibility for the Anova purchase squarely at MacK's feet... :-)  She has tempted me too many times with her posts!

Edited by KevinD
  • Like 2

That's so funny I did the exact same thing after reading MavK post about the holiday sale on Sous vide lol. this site is dangerous. Cold smoker, new SS baking plate that I'll probably order when it comes out. I don't even want to add up all the accessories I have ordered for my KK but its been fun. My cold smoker is arriving tomorrow. Guess I'll have buy a bottle of scotch and some sea salt and a nice piece of salmon.

LOL - and...I just finished speaking to Dennis about a few things and the carbon steel (he corrected me from SS) baking plate was discussed. He mentioned that SS really has poor heat retention whereas carbon steel is superior when also taking into consideration its heat conductivity. I told him my favorite pans to cook with indoors are my three forged carbon steel pans from Blu Skillet Ironware...LOVE THEM!

Anyway...then the discussion turned to his teak cabinets. I'm pretty certain I will end up ordering a left side table, deep configuration though I'm waiting on some pictures of the interior layout of the tables to make final decision on what I wil do.

Edited by KevinD
  • Like 1