DennisLinkletter

Sneak Peak ~ KK 3/8" A36 Baking Steel

To add:   Stainless steel for pot/pan cooking surfaces is IMHO very much over rated for any type of cooking.   Enamel cast iron/steel does slow simmer/soups so much better...and all things carbon steel & cast iron reign for anything else.   And its a bitch to clean cooked on crud from SS...   Looks good in catalogs...but I digress :D

Edited by dstr8

Dennis, one more little feature I have discovered would be useful while using my Baking Steel:   Radius the two outer edges so that the slab of steel is a little more sink friendly.   They do need to be rinsed now and then and my Baking Steel is relatively sharp and unkind to my kitchen sink...

Yes there was a HUGE setback when the clown with the CNC milling wanted $180 per piece to cut the juice groove and mill the grilling side smooth. Then the sand blasting guy walked from the project saying it took too much concentration. He prefers to just blast rust off ships.

I'm working with a place to try to do sand castings now..  If I can't make them better than what's on the market already there really is no reason to make them.  Although I may also just make a very simple KK grill shaped one with the side holes to lift and the special grabbers.

• Like 3

On 8/1/2016 at 10:34 PM, dstr8 said:

Dennis, one more little feature I have discovered would be useful while using my Baking Steel:   Radius the two outer edges so that the slab of steel is a little more sink friendly.   They do need to be rinsed now and then and my Baking Steel is relatively sharp and unkind to my kitchen sink...

Absolutely.. I radius everything because I just like the feel in my hands too..

• Like 4

On 8/1/2016 at 2:07 AM, DennisLinkletter said:

It is about 18" wide.. We are in the process of testing a textured surface for the pizza side, fine tuning the tools used to pick them up from holes in the sides and learning about seasoning. They will be pre-seasoned from the factory.  

They are A36 Mild (low-carbon) steel, this radiates heat best, much better than stainless for this application.. (think cast iron skillet).    It just means you need to dry them after washing. 

Dennis, if I had known this was available I would have ordered it instead of the stone... :-(  provided they were available.  I bet you could sell a lot of them since I believe they weigh far less than stone.