tinyfish

Brisket Anyone?

I decided to cook a brisket for today.  It started out as a 14.5lb packer before trimming.  This is the second of 2 briskets that I purchased a couple weeks ago.

The first brisket was the same size as the second, it  cooked super quick, like 8-9 hours. I thought it was a fluke. This brisket I followed my same routine on the KK at 12:30am this morning at 225f. I want the brisket ready for later this afternoon but the brisket had different thoughts. It was ready again in about 8.5 hours, good thing I checked.

I seasoned the brisket with some Texas Original Rub and Eat Barbeque rub.  The brisket all trimmed then seasoned

20160723_103517.jpg20160723_103631.jpg20160723_110132.jpg

Here is a good laugh for you. 

I went out this morning at about 4:45am to wrap the brisket with butchers paper.  I went into the backyard through my garage door in the backyard with my big pizza pan and butchers paper in hand. As I was walking to the KK I heard a noise, as I get close to the KK I am face to face with a skunk. The skunk is coming at me now making these grunts/sounds. I take off running, skunk following. At full speed I run towards the backyard then I turn and run for the front of the house, never looking back. I made to the front and went through the front garage door into the garage, hoping the skunk wasn't in the garage because I left the back garage door open. No skunk in the garage so I closed all the garage doors and went inside. Looking through the back window the skunk hung around for about 10 minutes then he left. I gave him an hour before I went back outside.

This is what the brisket looked like before wrapping. The brisket did need that extra hour before wrapping so thank you Mr. skunk. 

20160724_064110.jpg

Brisket is done. I wrapped the brisket a few hours earlier then normal.  The bark is not quite as dark as normal which was ok since the thin parts of the brisket weren't overdone. My wife went to visit her parents so I sent some brisket with her.

Even though I trim as much of the fat as possible look how soaked the butchers paper is. 

2016-07-24 10.10.15.jpg20160724_100451.jpg

• Like 1

The skunk was just trying to catch up and ask for some brisket.  Everyone loves a good cook.

Brisket looks really good.  I must say that the KK changed the moisture level of my brisket cooks.  Even with some lesser quality brisket, the KK seems to be pumping them out like rock star brisket.  

Great cook buddy

4 hours ago, Shuley said:

That skunk just wanted a lil brisket!!!!! I can't blame him. I have yet to try the butcher paper method. In fact I almost never use foil until after I pull it now.

The butcher paper keeps the bark from getting to dark and it doesn't hold the steam in when the meats wrapped up cooking.

Good looking brisket.

We did one about two weeks ago. It was about the same size (sorry no pics ). We did the coffee/cardamom rub.  Had a Brazilian student over, with my daughter and her boy friend (they are carnivores), two other folks, plus my wife and I — there was nothing left.

8 minutes ago, kjs said:

Good looking brisket.

We did one about two weeks ago. It was about the same size (sorry no pics ). We did the coffee/cardamom rub.  Had a Brazilian student over, with my daughter and her boy friend (they are carnivores), two other folks, plus my wife and I — there was nothing left.

Maybe it was a good thing you didn't try and get a picture, they may of ate your arm and camera. ..lol.

• Like 1

I was at a dinner party at a buddy's house and he let his 2 Jack Russell terriers out. They got into it with a skunk and when they came back in the house, that was the end of the dinner party. Fortunately we'd finished eating. But, my buddy had to bath them in tomato juice and then shampoo them several times to get the smell to a point where the dogs could stay in the house.