Steve M

Kurobota short ribs and baby backs

Did my first low and slow today using the coco char. I plan on doing a wagyu brisket this weekend and wanted to get at least one low and slow out of the way. I had to work part of the day but figured I would get it going and let it burn to learn the best settings for 225-235. 

Filled the basket this morning and lit in the center at 0730. Had the lower vent open just a hair and the top about 1/6th turn. It came up to 225 (my target) by about 0930 or so. I let it sit as is to see where it settled. Over the course of the next 4.5 hours, it slowly creeped up to about 240. At 2pm, I put the short ribs on the grill and closed the top vent just a little. It settled in pretty good at 225-230 for the rest of the cook. The Kurobota baby backs are very small so I put them on about 2 hours behind the short ribs. I took them all off at the same time; 5.75 hours on the short ribs and 3.75 on the baby backs. all turned out pretty tasty.

I was a little surprised to see the temp continue to rise for about 6+ hours but it could have been due to the ambient temperature rising as well that eventually hit about 100 F.

P1000102.JPGP1000104.JPGP1000105.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve M said:

I was a little surprised to see the temp continue to rise for about 6+ hours but it could have been due to the ambient temperature rising as well that eventually hit about 100 F.

P1000102.JPG

You are better off using the short grill probe to monitor your grill's temps.. the one you have in is the meat probe/thermocouple/ thermometer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DennisLinkletter said:

You are better off using the short grill probe to monitor your grill's temps.. the one you have in is the meat probe/thermocouple/ thermometer.

I have a different monitor with an ambient probe but this particular one will graph the entire cook and is wifi. Interestingly enough, it read exactly the same as the dome probe once everything settled in.

9 hours ago, Shuley said:

Those look great. Dang that is a serious amount of meat on those ribs.

These are from Snake River Farms. the short ribs are very meaty. The baby backs probably weigh in around a pound per rack. 

4 hours ago, tinyfish said:

Ribs look great. I'm sure the brisket will turn out perfect. 

I wish I had more experience with the briskets; they still give me a little heartburn thinking about them. Fortunately, the SRF briskets are very forgiving. 

On 7/25/2016 at 8:13 AM, Steve M said:

I wish I had more experience with the briskets; they still give me a little heartburn thinking about them. Fortunately, the SRF briskets are very forgiving. 

They sure as hell better be, for the price point that they charge! 

• Like 1