tony b

Duck Fat Rules!

On 7/25/2016 at 3:34 PM, MacKenzie said:

I think if we SV we should put some baking soda in the bag and that will rough up the surface area and may produce crisper chips. Here we go again.:)

Yes, indeed. Hopefully with a better outcome than the funky mashed potatoes with the malted barley flour. 

I was desperate for something to eat this evening so made some fries. I need to do another batch because I think I had too many fries in the pan for the amount of oil. They were not crispy but the centers were very creamy and they were tasty. Now if I can just get the outside crispy they will be perfect. I'm using dstr8's cold start method.

Fries 1.jpg

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

I was desperate for something to eat this evening so made some fries. I need to do another batch because I think I had too many fries in the pan for the amount of oil. They were not crispy but the centers were very creamy and they were tasty. Now if I can just get the outside crispy they will be perfect. I'm using dstr8's cold start method.

Fries 1.jpg

Hard to beat plate of fries.

MacKenzie:   CI stated rigid crisp fries (think pommes frites) are possible with this method by allowing more fry time.   My fries were a little darker than your's and although they weren't stiff like traditional pommes frites they were maybe more so than what you described.   So maybe longer fry time...

But like you commented, the interior texture was creamy and overall the fries are my favorite.   But like all things BBQ one person's ceiling is another's floor... :D

Edited by dstr8

Thanks, CC. :) A little more practice and see what happens. As I said they tasted great with the creamy centres and if they were more crispy they would be perfect.

A big tip of the hat to dstr for posting this method. Sure is easy and can be done at the last minute and on top of that they taste great. :)

• Like 2