Shuley

Big scare.

Shelley - first off, thanks be to God that nobody was injured in any way.  I've always thought that a weed burner is nothing but a very blunt instrument to lite a Komodo Kamado.

here is what I use.  It's great and very surgical and extremely economical.  It's a Benzomatic with a 5ft. hose.

IMG_0842 (3).jpg

I use a Bernzomatic TS8000 with their cylinders and it works great, quick, clean and easy.

http://www.bernzomatic.com/product/ts8000-high-intensity-trigger-start-torch-head/

I think at the local hardware store it was around $50 for the head and one cylinder, with replacement cylinders running about $12.

That's what I use too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I think the takeaway here is that you need to be careful with what you entrust to Harbor Freight.  :-P

The weed burner was serious overkill for lighting the grill, but the convenience of propane/mapp cant be beat.  I've used just a propane torch that goes on the 1# canisters for years (it's also from harbor freight :-o).  MUCH lower output than the weed burners.  Between the grill and fire pit I go through gas canisters often enough that I bought some certified and refillable 1# tanks and a 30# forklift tank so I can refill them from bulk.  Works out to about $0.50 per fill, and I don't have to worry about the recycling guy complaining about the canisters.

@CeramicChef - Is that attachment narrow and long enough that you could insert it through the blower port to light the underside of the basket?   Lighting with gas from the top always causes sparks, and there are even a few times where I'd prefer not to stand over the fire and get smokey.  My old POSK had a small gas burner that was attached to the draft door, and I really enjoyed the ease of lighting the basket from underneath using that burner, then shutting off the gas to cook with lump.   That burner was built like a stainless hockey puck on the end of a tube, with about 20 holes around the vertical circumference, and a flat rim around the top that stuck out an inch or so to cover the flame jets.  When lit, it was like 20 scripto grill lighters on full blast, configured in a ring held under your lump.   You could light the burner, slide it in, let it run for a minute, shut off the gas, and because it was up so high off the floor, and had the protrusion over the jets, you could leave it in place and it never got ash inside of it.  It's about the only thing I miss about that grill.  

I'd love to have something similar for the KK.  A gas ignition that ran off 1# tanks and plugged into the blower port would be cool, but if that wand of yours is long enough reach under the basket it could serve as a handheld version?

@Firemonkey - the nozzle on the Benzomatic MAPP torch that I use isn't all that long … not much more than 5" long.  I doubt you'd do much good trying to light a fire in the lump basket through the blower port on the side.  If anything did light, it would only be near the wall of the KK and that would pose some problems for doing any cooks.