xraydoc

Grate additions

I have noticed that in many of the fantastic cook pictures, a lot of people use various surfaces and tools on top of their grates when cooking.  Ultimately, the KK is a charcoal powered convection oven, so I get that dutch ovens, CI skillets, and other pots/pans work well.  However, I have also noticed many wire racks, mats, ridged grates, etc.

My question is: of these types of "grate toppers" what do people prefer? I grill a lot of vegetables (asparagus, peppers and onions, etc.) and need something to help keep veggies from falling through the grates.

@xraydoc - I have found that just about any good stainless steel wire basket works well.  I also have several that have been punched and those work as well as the wire baskets.  I have bought both types at Sam's, Ace hardware, Lowe's, and Home Depot.  I've also seen them at just about every BBQ specialty store.  Size depends on on how many your looking to feed.  I'm a bachelor and generally use the smaller sized baskets.  However, I also have some big ones for the parties I've thrown.  Seeing as how we are now in August, you might want to get in the stores as they tend to stop ordering their summer inventory around this time so they don't have to carry inventory or put it on sale as season closeout.  

• Like 1

Weber has a new stainless pan for veggies.  I have an old version that was black.  I will likely pick up the new weber one soon.  

I has a Lagostina pizza stone that is cast iron with an enamel bottom.  I use it as a griddle on the KK and absolutely love it.  

I just won a set of grill grates that I will try out and see how they are but not 100% they are necessity.  

My best advice is get cooking and see what your needs require before you commit to buy anything.  I have bought and sold a lot of things that I thought that I needed and never did.

My style of BBQ is simple

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I have a punched veggie basket that I currently use on my Weber Kettle. @CeramicChef I did not know there were bigger options out there. That would be really helpful, so I will definitely check it out.  @bosco - I will look for that pizza stone as a griddle would likely be useful.  Do you use it for asparagus? We do a lot of grilled asparagus and while I love it, keeping it from falling through the grates is a constant battle.  I have eaten quite a bit of asparagus cooked by the inadvertent "directly on the coals caveman method" :-P

• Like 1

No, Frog mats are an open mesh silicone. I have it. Works fine for some things. Good up to 550F. One caution from their description -  Do not expose the Frogmats to direct flame. So, I only use mine on the upper grate if I'm cooking direct on the main. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Frogmats-Non-Stick-Grill-Mat/dp/B00LBH7TZK

I've also tried the Cookina mats, which are solid. I like them when I have a marinade on the veggies (like lemon juice and EVOO on asparagus). They simmer in the sauce and still get nice char marks. But, they are only good up to 500F, but don't mind direct heat.

https://smile.amazon.com/Cookina-BBQ-Reusable-Cooking-Sheet/dp/B0081TIE5K

Here's an old picture of when I first got them and posted somewhere here in the Forum. I got a big one and cut it to fit the top grate and had a nice sized piece left over for things like the asparagus.

Asparagus grill done.jpg

cluck in the jiz done.jpg

• Like 2