Jmazach

Best way to light off a fire at n ok?

Best way is to light just a very small couple pieces of lump with any means you want.  Then use a cheapo hair drier as a blower to make the burning pieces glow madly and bring the neighboring pieces to ignition temps.. the second other charcoal is lit, it is also glowing madly.  Wood Charcoal lights about 660º and with a blower it glows at over 1,800ºf  Short of a huge weed burner with a million BTU's nothing gets charcoal lit faster.. 

Best to get a hair drier that has a big fan and airflow..

I use a Benzomatic MAPP torch to light my lump.  For a low-n-slow cook I'll light a single spot on my lump pile.  For something in the area of 300-400° I'll light 2 spot in the lump pile.  For temps in the 400-500° range I'll light 3 spots.  For 500°+ I'll light 4 spots.  

No matter the cook, right after I light the lump I'll set an alarm on my wrist watch for about 5-7 minutes.  I leave the lid up on my KK, open the bottom vent fully, and I go prep the cook.  When my alarm goes off, I return to the KK, shut the lid, set my vents for the temp I want, and in short order I'm ready to cook!

• Like 2

@CeramicChef so its ok then to start the coals and leave it open i cant remember if when talking to dennis if he mentioned that heat over the gasket is not good my normal prep when i had my eggs was your exact method .i had thought u start then close lid on kk but if we are good doing what you do i will certainly keep that method