Stile88

Baking Stone on 23's Upper Grate

@Bruce Pearson - I wouldn't advise using a heat deflector as a baking stone.  First, the finish on the baking stone is much superior to the finish found on the heat deflector.  Second, the thermal properties are significantly different between the baking stone and the heat deflectors.  Third, the thermal mass is of the baking stone far outweighs that of the deflectors.  

The baking stone is designed to provide just the right of thermal mass to aid in baking multiple pizzas, give great crusts to breads, and really radiate back heat to the bake.  Heat deflectors are built to block heat.  Finally, there is a real difference in the materials used in the baking stone and the deflectors.  If I'm not mistaken, the deflectors are built from refractory, but I could be wrong on that.

• Like 1

You can bake on anything actually even your SS grates.. the difference is in the thermal transfer.. The more dense the material is the more heat is transferred and if less dense less heat.  It really depends on what you are baking. For standard crust to thick crust and bread our baking stone works great.. if a stone is too hot the crust burns before the toppings are cooked, too porous and the top burns before the crust is ready.  For cracker /Neapolitan pizza you need a baking steel that is screaming hot.

Yes, Ken you are correct the heat deflectors are the same material as the grill's hot-face while the baking stone has a very targeted/engineered density for baking and a nearly polished surface.

• Like 2

CC, wait until you try thin crust pizzas atop the baking steel!   I was a non-believer...thinking there wouldn't be that much difference compared to even the thick shaped KK stone (which I love by the way).   I am able to get very, very close to the same results using my Neapolitan dough mix at 550F on the steel compared to 750F on the stone saving me considerable fuel and the time to manage 750F!

And smash burgers atop 3/8" plate are incredible too.  

Different tools for different applications.

Can't wait for Dennis to get his baking steel ready for purchase!  

Edited by dstr8
  • Like 2

I had the same issue and Dennis advised me to gently hit the handles from the inside to spread them just enough until the stone drops in.  I used a hammer with folder paper towel to do mine.  He recommended using a 2x4 piece of lumber but I didn't have...made do with the hammer and paper towel...

1 hour ago, KevinD said:

I had the same issue and Dennis advised me to gently hit the handles from the inside to spread them just enough until the stone drops in.  I used a hammer with folder paper towel to do mine.  He recommended using a 2x4 piece of lumber but I didn't have...made do with the hammer and paper towel...

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

I used a 2X4 on mine and just gently wedge in to spread the handles. Worked perfectly.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

16 hours ago, Steve M said:

I measured the one I thought was the baking stone and got the same measurements referenced above (46 x 42cm). However, it doesn't quite seem to fit the upper grate:

IMG_2791.JPG

Argh.. Yes we made the baking stone as large as possible to fit between the two handles of the upper grate. The grates themselves are made in a jig for uniformity, the handles are installed by hand and if the handles lean in just a tad too much this can happen..  As they said, a well placed tap will correct this easily.. Sorry we missed it  ;-) 

55 minutes ago, DennisLinkletter said:

Argh.. Yes we made the baking stone as large as possible to fit between the two handles of the upper grate. The grates themselves are made in a jig for uniformity, the handles are installed by hand and if the handles lean in just a tad too much this can happen..  As they said, a well placed tap will correct this easily.. Sorry we missed it  ;-) 

No problem, I don't think it will take too much work to get it to fit.