Bruce Pearson

My First Cook

Hello Everybody

I did my first cook today and took a few pictures. It was a simple cook with New York steak marinated in kentuckyaki sauce. Plus 2 chicken sausage with pineapple and garlic and some white corn. Simply cook BUT I haven't done any grilling in over 30 years and didn't even know where to start. it tasted great though. That Kentuckyaki sauce is aged in oak whiskey barrels.

Question; how long does it take for the KK to cool down? I closed it up after burn in yesterday but it was still hot this morning only about 100 degrees, buy I didn't have to relight it to cook the steak and corn. I checked the latch and it was all the way down and the bottom vents were closed ( I thought) all the the way. The only thing I can figure is that the top vent wasn't tight enough. Any Ideas what might have happened? I just went out to check it and found the large bottom vent was open about a fingernail width, 1/64 inch would that do it? any answers would be appreciated. Everybody have a great weekend and I look forward to your answers.

dinner2.jpg

dinner5.jpg

dinner4.jpg

dinner3.jpg

• Like 2

First, with the latch closed, push down on the handle, and if there is any movement, it needs to be adjusted.

Second, the top vent needs to be snug, but not tight, you should only need one hand to close it.

Third, your gap in the lower vent could very well be your culprit, these vents need to be checked regularly, they can work open, and over time, ash can build and prevent a good closure.

An easy check is light a fire, add smoking wood, and once you get good smoke, close everything and see where smoke is coming out.

These grills take time to cool, but the fire should be out, overnite should be completely cool.

Rob

• Like 2

Nice cook Bruce looks tasty when I unpacked Ora I pulled the front and rear vents out to get the tape of the inside that was securing the packaging and cleaned the slots out and pushed everything firmly in place. As Rob said I think this is something we need to check on no big issue

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 1

Very nice cook Bruce 

I had same issue and as bosco had told me i had residue buildup on and around corners of back draft door so this wouldn't allow me to close it all the way even though i thought it was tight against 

Once i cleaned both front and back draft doors this solved the issues and the no more red coals after i shut the grill down 

It really amazed me not even a 16th of an inch would allow that and how little air flow is needed

My grill takes a long time to cool down once it is heat soaked but there should be no red coals after its extinguished 

• Like 1

One thing I like to do is lay about 6 or 8 pieces of paper around your gasket, close the lid to position 2. You should feel a fair bit of resistance when you try to pull the paper out. 

BTW, Bruce, that is an awesome cook. Everything looks just perfect. :) :smt023 :smt023 :drinkers: and just for you, my scented lily -

Lilly.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like a pretty stress free first cook!

I don't know if the 32 had a back door...but you might want to check that. Additionally, my grill was leaking from one side of the gasket. The small roller to the handle where you close it had come a little loose. I just had to tighten it and then there was no wiggle room to move side to side and then it sealed perfectly again.

• Like 1

Bruce - first off, nice cook!  Looks positively droolicious.  Kudos.

Second, as Rob says, test the lid.  The latch is a two position latch … the first position closes the lid and the second position seals the lid by compressing the gasket.  Check all other inlets to make certain they are all the way seated.  My BB 32, TheBeast, takes quite a bit of time to cool down from searing cooks, especially if I've heat soaked the KK.  However, your fire should die quickly and most certainly your KK should cool completely overnight.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions I think I found the problem. I didn't have the Lower vent closed all away even though It look close all the way to me. After I shut it down after my cook  when I checked this morning it was down in temp and the fire was completely out. I'll know for sure after my next cook. This forum is so cool ask a  question and you'll get cool answers from everybody I love it . 

• Like 3

Bruce, here's a tip that works for me. I took a blue (pick your color) Sharpee and made a line on the plate next to the dial and a companion mark on the dial at the fully closed position. It's easy to see when you have it completely closed without having to get on your hands and knees! 

• Like 1