Enginerd

Temperature Control at ~ 150

Hello, everyone.

Well so far so good. I've had my 32" Big Bronze for about three months now and I've been cooking up a storm. I'm interested in trying jerky, but I've found that holding steady temperatures under 200 F to be difficult. Even the smallest airflow and a few coals puts me at about 200 - 225, and to go with even fewer coals would demand refreshing the basket before my cook time (I anticipate ~ 4 hours for jerky) is up.

Any suggestions? What techniques have you used to hold low temperatures? And how low can you go and remain steady?

Thanks.

I haven't gone that low yet but here is a few thoughts.
I would start with all new lump. I would use small pieces. Small pieces will allow a small fire to jump from one piece of lump to another easily.
Top vent will need to be open as small as possible somewhere in the 1/8 turn range.
Bottom vent will need to be open about the width of a piece of paper.
I would get one small piece of lump burning then drop that in the KK. Set your vents and give it an hour or two.
Keep in mind every time you open the dome your end result will be a temperature increase due to allowing more oxygen in.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've never set my Guru down this low, but it's worth a try to see if it will control temps in the 140 - 150F range?

I've had it sitting at 180*-190* before. I felt I could have gotten it even lower if I really tried.

The biggest problem with that low of a temp is opening the dome. (to put food/jerky on, check progress etc......) Every time the dome gets opened you introduce a lot of oxygen which will stoke your oxygen starved fire causing the temp to rise. Plan everything carefully so the dome is only opened once, really quickly at around 125*.

I'll give this a try one weekend soon. I have jerky seasoning in the pantry would just need to get the proper beef.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk