bosco

Interesting... Temp control

I know this topic is getting grey hair, but I did a bit of testing on this too. On a barrel pit, even though the chimney usually has an adjustment, the pros tell you to do temp regulation with the air intake.  My test was to see if I could maintain 250 degrees with only using the vent setting and having the top at  2 to 3 spins open...or wide open. The logic behind this is to have ONE control or adjustment for temperature control instead of playing with two of them. 

The test proved to me that you can maintain a steady temperature by controlling only the bottom vent.  250 degrees was attained, by trial and error, by only using the bottom vent adjustment. I left the top at about 2 spins open to start.  After I had 250 degrees for an hour, I opened the top by another spin...total of 3.   The temps went up by around 3 degrees after 30 or 40 minutes which I attribute to burn pattern and size of lump now burning. It'll fluctuate that much even if you don't touch anything on the smoker. If I would have kept checking, I'm sure it would have gone up and down 3 to 5 degrees over the course of the cook.

Bottom line: do what works for you.

3 hours ago, Shuley said:

Readint through this whole thread made me realize that there are lots of ways to achieve the same temp. Which is useful,as I have alwaysbeen doingthe same thing.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

You are correct about that. Some methods work better than other methods for certain cooks.