leeherd

How did the Turkey come out?

max. weight of a turkey in a KK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

I'm planning to prepare a turkey in September in the KK (the Classic version). Has anyone an idea what the aprox. size is, that fits into the KK? I have to feed 30 people!

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Tobias

Hey Tobias,

I did not see a follow up to your Turkey cook in September. Did you give it a try.

I am thinking about doing a Turkey on the KK for THanksgiving Day Dinner and was curious about your success and how you set it up to cook?

Anyone else out there willing ready to offer up some advice and Pics>

Terry

Re: How did the Turkey come out?

Hey Tobias,

I did not see a follow up to your Turkey cook in September. Did you give it a try.

I am thinking about doing a Turkey on the KK for THanksgiving Day Dinner and was curious about your success and how you set it up to cook?

Anyone else out there willing ready to offer up some advice and Pics>

Terry

Several people told me, that such a giant Turkey could get quiet dry in the KK and recommended me to do several small ones instead. Because I wanted to do a damn big piece of meat I went for beef:

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

(second post)

Shoulda gone for the Turkey!

I did my first kamado turkey just a couple weeks ago... came out fabulous.

Don't recall temps/times too well... but it was in the 350F range for something like 12min/lb... Spatchcocked and injected some butter & poultry seasoning, and rubbed it down with same. Absolutely moist and delicious and fed us sandwiches for over a week. And the skin was not rubbery - crispy and tasty.

8)

img6743tt7.jpg

Re: Hey now !

:x

I couldn't help it - the durn thing fell apart while I was getting it off the grill... just so tender, juicy, and delicious.

Tender, Juicy and delicious. OK I'm sold. Thanx for the rough cook time also.

I was thinking about using the meat hanger for the bird. It came with the grill 2 years ago and I still have not used it. Although the fact you said it fell apart worries me a bit. Should I tie it up?

Should I tie it up?

I don't know. I had a cookie sheet I was going to move it to. Grabbed a leg and it came off. Grabbed a wing and it came off. Finally got wise and lifted it by it's body cavity... but as you can see it did sorta fall apart.

I have zero experience with a meat hanger so I'd have to defer to other experts out there. If it matters, this was a fresh, never frozen turkey, which in my opinion is the only kind you should ever use...

:P

As I said, this was my first turkey... incidentally, we had just gone to the fair a few days prior and I had enjoyed a giant turkey leg there... but my kamado'd turkey legs were SO much better...