cschaaf

Chicken Za'atar with Pan Roasted Vegitables

This is my "Fed in the Med" entry over on the Guru

Za'atar is a generic name for a combination of spices commonly used in the Middle East. Key ingredients are sesame seeds and ground sumac - from there, different cultures add their own spin. 

My blend was sesame seeds, ground sumac, oregano, savory, a bit of salt and some fresh thyme from the garden.

Here it is dry on the left and combined with olive oil and minced garlic to form a paste on the right.

IMG_0335.JPG

The sumac, which was hard to find, is the star of this show - it has sort of a lemon zest flavor that isn't as sharp and doesn't linger in your mouth as long as lemon zest does.

Coat the chicken with the paste first, both over and under the skin, then sprinkle on the dry blend and pat it down. I let it sit in the fridge for a few hours.

Here is is on the KK rotisserie. I have the basket splitter installed and the fire is on the back wall (can't see it in this image). The pan of veggies has carrots, onions and cabbage and is sitting over the non-direct side. The cabbage really picked up the nice flavor of the za'atar blend. The chicken also had great flavor and you could squirt a little lemon on it to pick the flavor up even more.

IMG_0339.JPG

Plated with some couscous made with onion and sun-dried tomatoes. I haven't made couscous in years and forgot how easy and delicious it is.

IMG_0341.JPG

Money

IMG_0342.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Edited by cschaaf
  • Like 6

Thanks everyone. It was a new method (roti over the half basket) and a new spice blend for me. It all came out great.

Only one downside, since the spices were added as a paste, the skin didn't get as crispy as I would have liked it - but it was still tasty! 

32 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Excellent cook. Never heard of Sumac for a spice. Great entry.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It's the sumac berries - so don't go out and grab the leaves and use them ;)

ETA: That's not to suggest that you should go out and source the berries on your own, either. ;)

Edited by cschaaf
  • Like 1