wilburpan

Pork shoulders and brisket — with super easy temperature control

It’s been a while since I’ve been able to post some cooks. I’ve been using Smaug over the summer, but have had very little time for posting. 

Here’s a pork shoulder.

29181254995_bb020eb311_c.jpg

Here’s two more pork shoulders that I cooked at once.

29181255475_52ae9f620c_c.jpg

And here’s a nice 12 lb. brisket, with before and after pictures.

29181255975_103fe1d497_c.jpg

28562073313_90205f1dcb_c.jpg

29181255545_9721dfcd9a_c.jpg

There’s nothing special about these cooks. I’ve done them before, like many of you.

What all of these cooks have in common, however, is that I did the same routine for setting up Smaug for each one. I started the fire around midnight, set the vents for what’s worked for me for a low and slow cook (bottom vent barely open, top vent turned 1/4 turn), waited long enough to see that the thermometer got up to around 180-200ºF (about 20-30 minutes or so), and then went to bed. In the morning, the thermometer was pretty consistently right around 200-225ºF, which is where I wanted to be.

Probably better than anything else, this shows what the quality of a Komodo Kamado grill gets you: ease of control and repeatability in your vent settings. I’m confident enough in my grill that I was able to set the vents and walk away knowing that I would get really close to my target temperature.

I should mention that I’m usually not in the habit of doing cooks this way. In each case I was “volunteered” to provide food for a potluck or a party at the last minute, which is why I wound up doing the overnight cook approach. Still, it’s really nice to know that my KK grill is so well made that I can get results like this.

Edited by wilburpan
  • Like 3