tony b

Hatch Chile Roaster

One of my favorite things about summer is when the Hatch chiles arrive at the local market. As I comment earlier this summer, I thought that I'd try and rig up a roaster basket for the rotisserie and spin some chiles to see how I like the results versus just putting them on the grates and flipping them around to roast.

I built the basket out of 1/4" wire fabric. I left half-moon openings on each end to facilitate loading and unloading. Placing the roaster inside the rotisserie basket with the openings on the bottom, utilizes the solid sides of the rotisserie to keep the peppers inside.

A couple of shots of the roaster in the rotisserie basket.

002a.jpg

003a.jpg

Some lovely Hatch chiles.

004.JPG

Toss a couple of pounds of chiles into the basket and onto the KK for a nice spin.

006.JPG

Spun on direct heat, no smoking wood, started out around 300F, for the first hour, with a ramp up to 425F over the next hour period, with another 30 minutes at the higher temperature. Total roasting time was 2 1/2 hours. Just experimenting with it. At the low temp, they were sweating nicely, but not roasting, so I upped the temp to char the skins. 

008.JPG

009a.jpg

I will likely do another batch soon, as they are still available at the local market. Happy with the way they came out. Next time, I'll start out at the higher temperature and probably shorten the time down to an hour to 90 minutes. 

• Like 6

Spun another batch yesterday as the market is running out of them. I got the last 2 bags of hot and had to settle for a bag of mild ones to finish out the batch. This little basket idea is a keeper!

A buddy says that he's got more jalapenos than he knows what to do with, so I'm hoping to score a batch of those and try my hand at chipotles.