KevinD

Deep Dish #2 on Pele; . Quod Vers.

So here we are one week after my first deep dish cook and I am attempting DD#2 but instead of traditional deep dish, I'm going to make the Pequod version, from RealDeepDish.com.   This was done in a 12" x 2" deep pan. 

The 'Quod version dough recipe is a bit different from the traditional dough recipe adding ground black pepper and a bit of sugar. Two other significant differences from a traditional deep dish is that you do not pull any dough up the side of the pan and instead of putting down all of the ingredients and topping with sauce, this is more of a traditional assembly with sauce going down on top of the cheese, before the other ingredients are added. The mozzarella cheese and sauce placed up the against the side of the dish will caramelize to form a crust.  You will see from the pictures that I actually put some sausage on top of the mozzarella and l put down the sauce, before adding the rest of my ingredients.

Finish cook and slice pictures will follow...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by KevinD
  • Like 1

Ok, having finished my first slice of this version of deep dish I have decided that I would probably like a blend of the two different styles… 

I much prefer the original deep dish dough recipe flavor and taste over this Pequod version which is good, I just prefer the original style crust more.  Being a fan of crunchy chewy cheese, I like the caramelized cheese and would make an original deep dish style dough but instead of pulling the dough thinly up the side, I would use the 'Quod process – meaning place the mozzarella cheese up the side of the pan and go from there… 

450°F for 40 minutes… exactly as the version recipe called for. Whenever I first follow a recipe I tend to follow it exactly unless something is really needing adjustment for my own personal flavor preferences. 

Edited by KevinD

Been to Pequod's - serious pie and well worth the wait to get one. 

The cheese up the side is what we call "Detroit style" around here. One of our local spots does it and it's the standard order when I walk in - "Small, Detroit, Mombo Combo, no green peppers." 

097b7a_1de1f65dba4e44c4b17c560479f71a84.jpg

19 hours ago, tony b said:

Been to Pequod's - serious pie and well worth the wait to get one. 

The cheese up the side is what we call "Detroit style" around here. One of our local spots does it and it's the standard order when I walk in - "Small, Detroit, Mombo Combo, no green peppers." 

Born and raised in Detroit and never heard of "Detroit Style" pizza??????????