KevinD

Deep Dish #2 on Pele; . Quod Vers.

Interesting. I've heard of Detroit style pizza. Typically square with the crispy upper crust edge like Kevin got. Looks like it was started at Buddy's Pizza in the 40s. 

I think Little Ceasar's deep dish is more like Detroit style. I think they've even advertised it as such briefly.

18 hours ago, cschaaf said:

Interesting. I've heard of Detroit style pizza. Typically square with the crispy upper crust edge like Kevin got. Looks like it was started at Buddy's Pizza in the 40s. 

I think Little Ceasar's deep dish is more like Detroit style. I think they've even advertised it as such briefly.

Where is Buddy's Pizza located?  I'm going to see my Michigan family this weekend and plan to ask them out of curiosity. 

One more comment on the difference between the two deep dish pie's… 

The first had the traditional buttery/flaky crust and called for basically no kneading, just enough mixing to hold the dough together and after the appropriate rise, press it out from the center to the edge, then thinly halfway up the side to keep everything within the crust.

Pequod version as the recipe tells, results in a very bready dough/crust which is a consequence of all of the kneading time (3-5 minutes) with a dough hook in a mixer. After rise has finished, press out dough to the edge but not up the sides as the mozzarella and tomato sauce will caramelize to form the chewy outer/upper crust – Yum! 

As mentioned before my next bake will use the original flaky and buttery crust but I will not press the dough up the side of the pan, leaving the cheese and tomato to form the upper crust.  I'm hoping that will give me the best of the two pies – at least in my humble opinion – LOL! 

• Like 1