bosco

I tried 00 Flour

Made Pizza tonight for my kids and a 14" deep dish for myself and my parents as my wife was working nights.  Far too much info I know... Sorry about that.  

Anyways, I have mastered the deep dish pizza and rocked this baby out.  No photos, I was just too busy tonight.

Now back to the post. 

00 flour.  I purchased 5 Kg of 00 from a local Italian Market.  It is a mom and pop style shop and they had it from 11.99.  I figured why not.  

So far, my kids pizza dough recipe is with bread flour and I have been using all purpose flour as per the realdeepdish.com method.  

Now I know that there is real hype with the 00 so my expectations were very high

I noticed that the dough was easier to work with and it doubled excellent.  

When it cooked, however, I was a tad disappointed.  It appears to be a very dry dough, reminiscent of a Sicilian style pasty pizza (one that ckreef had tried to make last year).  It was dry light and flakey if I were to describe it. 

I really prefer the bobby flay method of dough and using bread flour.  I find it to be moist and airy dough with a nice crust on it

I will use it a few more times, however, I do not think that 00 flour will be my go to for future pizza cooks

As J. KENJI LÓPEZ-ALT states, " flour is a gigantic can of worms "  In that  all flour is not created equal way.

No idea what kind of flour you had but give this a read  ( it's short ) and  it will give you a better understanding of what kinda worms it is. :)

I'm a fan of his so it helped me . I have been experimenting with different flours too and still think Anson Mills is the best

serous eats flour

Sue

Edited by ZooBeeQ