tony b

My 60th Birthday Dinner

I posted this here, since the dinner was not done on the KK. I was out of town and had to use a Weber kettle. 

I had planned to celebrate my 60th birthday in style. And did I ever! So, here goes.

Champagne, but of course, this is my 60th after all. So, it had to be special. 

005.JPG

What goes best with champagne - well, caviar and fois gras, naturally.

009.JPG

022.JPG

So, what's for dinner? Wagyu cowboy ribeye. Cooked sous vide @ 130F for 3 hours and finished off on the Weber. That's 2 3/4 pounds of luscious beef! 

024.JPG

Made a lovely potato galette in duck fat to go with the steak.

026.JPG

Plated, with black truffle butter and more fois gras on the steak, because you can never have enough fois!

028.JPG

So, what do you drink with this meal? I guess I'll have to make do with a "89 Opus One from my cellar that I've been saving for 25 years for this particular birthday. 

017.JPG

And for dessert? No, not cake, a nice "77 vintage port from the cellar!

030.JPG

To say that this was epic is an understatement. My only concern is "How do I top this @ 65?"

• Like 3

Thanks to all ya'll. It was indeed epic. I wholeheartedly recommend you do it up in whatever style suits you when you reach milestone birthdays - as you're never guaranteed to reach the next one! 

@MacKenzie - there are several candidate bottles of wine for the 65th in the cellar. Not sure if the wallet can up the game much more on the bubbly though - LOL! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tinyfish said:

Whats hiding in the cellar for your 65th?

Still a few bottles of '82, '88 and '90 Bordeaux left, haven't even touched the cases of '89 Bordeaux yet, plenty of '90 CA cabs, and vintage Port, plus a smattering of other stuff from the mid-90s (lots of Ridge Zins, from when I was in their wine club.) I'm sure that I'll find something appropriate.  :smt030