ckreef

Reef's Vinegar BBQ Sauce

A slightly sweet vinegar BBQ sauce with a kick. Just thick enough to stick to your food. 

Final yield about 12 oz. 

2 cups White Balsamic Vinegar 

1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice 

1/2 Tbsp Sea Salt 

1/2 Tbsp md ground black pepper 

1/2 Tbsp red pepper flakes 

1/4 cup sugar 

1/3 cup ketchup 

RVSa.jpg

In a none reactive sauce pan combine all ingredients. With the kitchen exhaust fan on high bring to a boil with MD heat. Turn heat down to low and simmer an additional 30 minutes. (should be the consistency of whole milk.) Remove from heat and cool completely. 

Strain through a kitchen strainer to remove the big pepper flakes (still has plenty of kick). This is an optional step. 

Will store almost indefinitely in the refrigerator. 

RVSb.jpg

This is a spin off of a Myron Mixon recipe. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, HalfSmoke said:

Looks a bit like my Lexington BBQ sauce recipe, but the white balsamic and lemon juice are an interesting twist. Will give this a try. Thanks for sharing!

If an original recipe calls for Apple cider or white vinegar I almost always substitute white balsamic vinegar. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tony b said:

Only difference it makes is in the measurement, since you're dissolving it in a sauce (i.e., the texture is moot.) The larger the grains, the less actual salt being added for the same measurement (1/2 TB). 

Exactly the reason for my question.

55 minutes ago, Gnomatic said:

That looks excellent.  I'm definitely a vinegar-based BBQ sauce kind of guy.   @ckreef How close in flavor is white balsamic vinegar to regular balsamic?

Pretty far off. Regular balsamic is on the savory side. White balsamic is on the sweet side. 

That was a sort of generalization. I use a lot of different balsamic vinegars.  Regular, white, golden.  The flavor infused from a decent store can be a good vinegar base to a lot of different sauces. 

Examples -  Sicilian Lemon White is awesome with fish. Peach White is great in vinegar and oil salad dressings and also pork. Neapolitan Dark (Regular) is awesome to make a steak drizzle....  I could go on and on..... 

Check out this store 

http://bellabalsamic.net

Down by my sister's house in FL. Every time I visit I go there once or twice and always come home with something awesome. 

• Like 1