Karolina Komodo

First Cook on Gator!

Hi all, I want to start by thanking you all for the great content on your posts.  I have been browsing the forums and have learned more than I could have imagined.  Of course, the more I learn the more I realize I don't know. 

After eyeing a KK for a couple of years, I finally took the plunge and Gator arrived last week.  Interestingly, he arrived the day before of the hurricane coming though but he did well protected by the impressive crate and tarp I put over.  Maybe I should change the name to Hermine :) Anyway, I am a true novice as this is my first ceramic cooker, thanks in advance for your help!

My first cook will be this weekend, I have a 10lb butt I will be picking up today and cooking overnight Saturday.  I will be using the many recs I have read here (smoke pot, coco char, etc)  One quick question which comes to mind is whether I should use a water pot for evaporation with my slow cook on the KK as other cookers recommend.

Very excited for my first cook and to join the KK club! 

Eric

• Like 1

Welcome Eric, glad to have you aboard. When you get a chance post a few pictures of your KK. We love seeing pictures. 

No water pan is needed in a kamado. The very limited air flow to maintain a low-n-slow temperature keeps a very moist cooking environment so a water pan is not needed. I would recommend some  kind of drip pan to keep all the rendering fat from going down into your KK. 

If you haven't already you might want to fire it up and give it a practice run at getting to and setting the vents for low-n-slow. That way you'll have an idea what to do Saturday night. 

Congrats on Gator! I admire your patience for holding off for 2 years :).

A pork butt is a great way to start with the kk. If you received any coco char with your order, now is a good time to use it along with some of your favorite flavored wood chunks. I look forward to pics of your new kk and cooks.

Welcome Eric, looking forward to seeing your KK and your first cook take plenty of pictures please. I guess you can tell we like pictures on this site. I go away with my mouth watering every time I log onto the site and see all the wonderful cooks and such great pictures from everybody. Happy cooking!!

Congratulations!!!!   One suggestion on your first cook on a kamado cooker.............let your temps build slowly by controlling the vents.  You don't want to overshoot the desired cooking temp, as it will take a long time to bring back down.  Start with minimal vent openings and open slowly.  Be sure to fill the charcoal basket to the top.

Good luck and have fun!!!!!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome and words of encouragement.  I will get pics up this weekend.  I have two 9-10lb butts and am going to get them rubbed tonight.  I know its a lot of Q but figured since two isn't much more work than one would be a good idea, plenty to give guest to go home with as a parting gift.  Also, I was told by a buddy to brine before rubbing, thoughts?  That would mean brine overnight and rub in the morning before going on tomorrow night so probably skip the brine this cook.

Keep you posted and pics otw!

I don't brine butts. Plenty of moisture built into that part of the animal. Cook it right (hard to go wrong) and you are fine without. Also, if your rub has salt you are, in effect, dry brining  

And welcome! What color is your KK?

Edited by HalfSmoke