Karolina Komodo

First Cook on Gator!

Awesome job on joining the KK club @Karolina Komodo, looking forward to seeing how your first cook goes.

One think i have learnt is let the KK sneak up to temp. the first 3-4 cooks i overshot the mark after a few hours as i had waaaay too much charcoal lit in the beginning. I was lighting over a tennis ball in size and that would push me over the 300F mark which is not what i wanted. The KK is so efficient that you dont need that much charcoal lit for the low and slow.

Light the smallest part in the middle (i find using a MAPP torch is the best way, but a cotton wool ball soaked in metho or something like that will do the trick too), (also make sure you have a full basket of charcoal to start) then gradually bring the temp up. Even if it takes 2-3 hours to stabilise you will be better to do it this way then light too much and over shoot your temp. As the others said, the KK is insulated so much, that once you overshoot the temp, it takes a while to bring it back down. So bring it up slowly and you will be fine.

Most important part, take pics of the cook and post them up! :) 

Good luck.

39 minutes ago, Karolina Komodo said:

Roger fish.  Since the soak will take a while should I add my smoke pot once up to temp so I don't waste smoke without the butts on?  Thx

That's how I operate. Get it to temp and let it heat soak. I put the pot on about 15 minutes before the food goes on.

2 questions:

1.  I am using double drip pan for deflector.  Should it go right on top of the charcoal basket or on the lower grate just under main grate 

2:  Is this the right place to plug in the cyber w fan?  Where do the probes go in? Take out the bolts under opening and replace with plugs?  Where does the cyber Q mount? 

Thanks so much!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

On question 1, you'll find the double bottom drip pan fits inside the handles of the upper grate used in the lower position. Hope that's clear. The upper grate also fits into a low position when the lower grate is removed. 

Question 2: yes on the fan. For probes, you'll find a removable rubber grommet just below the lower lip of the KK to the right. Pull it out and slide the wires through the gap. Plug it back in with all your probes on the inside. The CyberQ doesn't mount anywhere. You can bend that metal mount to make a stand.