EGGARY

Foil or not to Foil, that is THE Question ?

Plan on cooking smoking some Spare Ribs tomorrow.  I have done Ribs many times and usually do them without Foil.  Lately when I see recipes and/or videos they say to foil.  Am I missing something by NOT foiling ?  I prefer a nice bark on the ribs.  If the ribs are foiled, there is no bark.  

Am I the only one with this quandary ?  I think it is my ADD as I am always looking forward to making good BBQ.  Another thing, I have seen where ithe cooking time is 5-6 hours.  Would they not be mushy ?  I want "Fall-off-the-Bone" but I also want a little chew as well.  I cook the ribs at 250*.

Thanks.

I've tried foiling and don't see the attraction. I prefer, by far, to run naked the whole way. So in my opinion, no, you aren't missing anything. As far as cook times, I cook St. Louis cut spares at 275 and am typically done in 3.5-4 hours. I start checking for doneness at 3 hours using the bend test, and then every 30 minutes after that. At 250 I'd expect 4-5 hours. 

Edited by HalfSmoke

Aaron Franklin of Franklin Barbecue favors a third option: Pink (uncoated) butcher paper. The white butcher paper is coated and no better than foil, but the pink partially breathes.

I used to be in the diehard "no foil" camp after my initial experiments, but Aaron Franklin has won me over to at least trying pink butcher paper every now and then. His book goes into details.

Bear in mind his needs. His restaurant cooks a slew of meat, to sell over several hours until gone. Paper may be ideal for this uncertain delivery window. One might be able to do better without paper, with an absolute target schedule in mind. I'm not sure, and the pink butcher paper is fun, one more prop to signal to my guests that they're going to like this. (Cooking is theater.)

25 minutes ago, ZooBeeQ said:

All you no foils , do you use the deflector pan ?

:)

zo0

Depending on what it is, I'll either use a layer of aluminum foil for minor drips or a disposable pan for bigger drips. Some have been known to use the included metal drip pan, but I use mine as a serving platter ;)

Edited by HalfSmoke

17 hours ago, CeramicChef said:

I don't wrap any cook using foil, peach paper, etc.  I like my bark well set and to my mind, kamado cooking solves the moisture problem endemic to cooking in most high airflow cookers like Franklin uses.  I've never had a dry cook in a kamado, especially using the KK!  

Agreed. I don't wrap anything either. I'll use foil as a drip pan and just straight smoke from there.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2017 at 0:08 PM, CeramicChef said:

For drip pan's I use the heavy gauge foil pans.  I've the KK drip pan, but it's simply too lovely to use as a mere drip pan.  Instead I use it as a serving platter and it compliments my Que quite nicely.

Paella pans (lined with foil) make awesome drip pans. They're the right shape, one can tune the diameter. Toss the foil lining rather than a standalone foil pan, less waste.

• Like 1