churchi

Pork Roast - Killer Crackle

Hi All,

Last night I cooked up a nice pork roll on the KK. I had originally cooked these in the past indirect with the double bottom drip pan and got the KK up to around 350F. However this time I tried putting the pork on the top shelf and doing it direct over the coals. Well I think this is the way I am going to do it from now on.

The crackle was killer! The best I have done in the KK since I have owned it. Thats been one of the parts of my cook that i wanted to nail, the crispy crackle is always a winner when entertaining guests. I could easily make it on my old weber but never as good on the KK. Well now I have. Its even better because the crackle was crisp but the meat was moist inside. So thats a winner all round.

So the process was:

- Heat soaked the KK for 2.5 hours to 250F (didnt want to get it too hot as I wanted to bring the temp down later in the cook)
- Prepared the pork
- Upped the temp on the KK and opened the vents wide open for 30 mins. This got the coals nice and hot. 3 turns i believe on the top
- Put the pork in on the top shelf
- 1H with the wide open vents holding around 350-380F
- Closed the bottom vent back to about a 1/4 on the left dial and 1.5 turns on the top vent
- Cooked till it was 145F IT
- Pulled it off and rested for 20mins
- Carved it up

This is the basic approach that I took. Would love to hear any suggestions, but I will be giving this another try in a week or so to see if I can still nail it :) 

2016-09-11 15.27.10.jpg

2016-09-11 15.27.22.jpg

2016-09-11 17.59.03.jpg

2016-09-11 17.59.07.jpg

2016-09-11 20.50.31-1.jpg

2016-09-11 20.50.53.jpg

• Like 10

54 minutes ago, Aussie Ora said:

Churchi that's awesome mate great crackle I've had success on the rotisserie but will definitely give your way a shot. Pork without crackle is just plain sad lol

Outback Kamado Bar and Grillemoji621.png

Cheers mate. Just over the moon i have been able to get the good cracking in my KK. Maybe no need for the weber charcoal now...

I love my KK :D 

• Like 1

Hi All,

Last night I cooked up a nice pork roll on the KK. I had originally cooked these in the past indirect with the double bottom drip pan and got the KK up to around 350F. However this time i tried putting the pork on the top shelf and doing it direct over the coals. Well i think this is the way i am going to do it from now on.

The crackle was killer! The best i have done in the KK since i have owned it. Thats been one of the parts of my cook that i wanted to nail, the crispy crackle is always a winner when entertaining guests. I could easily make it on my old weber but never as good on the KK. Well now i have. Its even better because the crackle was crisp but the meat was moist inside. So thats a winner all round.

So the process was:

- Heat soaked the KK for 2.5 hours to 250F (didnt want to get it too hot as i wanted to bring the temp down later in the cook)
- Prepared the pork
- Upped the temp on the KK and opened the vents wide open for 30 mins. This got the coals nice and hot. 3 turns i believe on the top
- Put the pork in on the top shelf
- 1H with the wide open vents holding around 350-380F
- Closed the bottom vent back to about a 1/4 on the left dial and 1.5 turns on the top vent
- Cooked till it was 145F IT
- Pulled it off and rested for 20mins
- Carved it up

This is the basic approach that i took. Would love to hear any suggestions, but i will be giving this another try in a week or so to see if i can still nail it  

2016-09-11 15.27.10.jpg

2016-09-11 15.27.22.jpg

2016-09-11 17.59.03.jpg

2016-09-11 17.59.07.jpg

2016-09-11 20.50.31-1.jpg

2016-09-11 20.50.53.jpg

Well done. Crackling is what makes the experience worthwhile. As you have a KK, I would suggest trying the rotisserie. It's an absolutely no fail technique to produce juicy meat & crackly crackling every time. Both Aussie ora and I have documented our experience on Kamado guru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Is a pork roll a rolled up pork belly?

Shuley, that is definitely a prok loin roast. Not sure if Churchi is in Australia or not, but this is one of the main roasts you can easily get from our supermarkets. This is my absolute favorite cut. My father was a butcher turned meat inspector back in the day and we argue over this cut all the time (lovingly of course) he thinks the leg is the best.....silly man lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1