tony b

Kickstarter Campaign for Lane's BBQ Rubs

I got an email notice this morning announcing that Lane's BBQ is starting a Kickstarter campaign (crowd funding) to do some fun R&D on new rub ideas. It's a tad on the pricey side, but I like supporting businesses like this, so I'm in to try it. If anyone else is interested, here's the link to the Kickstarter Campaign page.

http://kck.st/2csdliR

I'm in on that one, too. Last word was they were going to ship out the rewards starting in October. Fingers crossed on that one! If it works, it will be great on the rotisserie. 

The Lanes will be different, since it's an established business and they are just experimenting with what they already do, there's almost no risk to it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ckreef said:

Until my Meater is in my hands I'm out of the kickstarter game. I'm still holding the faith. At this point I don't even care if it's a piece of crap but I want something for my $$$. 

Completely agree there @ckreef. Im on this one too. SO much promise (i still believe in it as there is good updates over the past few months) just so late too :) Hope we get it by X-Mas. 

Should be awesome when it hits though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Ora said:

How's those blokes that started one up for a new motorcycle helmet and blew the coin in Vegas lol

Outback Kamado Bar and Grillemoji621.png

Haha, your kidding right?? You would be pissed!!

Wonder if they took the money from the backers, because i though you dont get debited until the product ships. Could be wrong there.

• Like 1

Haha, your kidding right?? You would be pissed!!

Wonder if they took the money from the backers, because i though you dont get debited until the product ships. Could be wrong there.

Thought it was Vegas I was wrong https://www.reddit.com/r/shittykickstarters/comments/4x40q9/failed_hud_helmet_maker_skully_spent_funding_on/

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

6 hours ago, EGGARY said:

I looked into the Meater and my concern is the distance to maintain the signal between the Meater and the Smartphone.  How far can one go using the Meater ?

I have ordered the meater block so i believe it will bluetooth to the block, then wifi back to the cloud then your app. i hope thats the way they have sold me on it! 

This means i dont have to be in bluetooth distance which is not how i want a wifi meat probe to work. it has to be wifi so it can connect to my internet at home.

• Like 2

I like the rubs, heard good things from Ryan about Lane's. After US$ conversion to Can $ its like $17 a bottle. I can buy it at the store when its out.

I'm in on the Meater too. The updates look believable...

on guru when I said my mate was rocking up to Canada bosco was all praise for lanes if I recall you mentioned another choice unfortunately my friend got crook from the cold

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

Yeah, Bosco was the one that turned me on to Lane's. :smt023

So far (fingers crossed), I've only had 1 Kickstarter not go through. The Admins pulled it and no one was charged. Some issue over patents.

As I recall, the only time you don't get charged is if they don't make their funding goal. No guarantees that the product will ever be successful and reach the market. In my limited experience, almost all of them go way beyond their original schedule - a year or more delay is fairly common in getting into production. Often what happens is that they reach their target funding goal so quickly, that they increase the goal to fund "bells and whistles" that should wait until after initial product is designed and manufactured. It's these "bells & whistles" that create the delays, as they try and do too much, too quickly. 

• Like 1

So for $154 you might get 12 bottles of rub that are mostly salt and/or sugar. Oh, and they'll throw in a T-shirt. That's some awful expensive salt and sugar IMO.

I stumbled across the Amazing Ribs site over a year ago when I got interested in learning how to smoke. Meathead has some really great recipes for rubs, the recipes are free and if you spend $30-40 at the local grocery store you can have all the ingredients to make 20 pounds or so of assorted rubs.

So ask yourself "How long will 20 lb. of rub last me?" ;) Then think about how long 12 8-oz bottles will last.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Kickstarters aren't about "value." You are funding a startup and there some kind of reward at the end, depending on how much you kick in.

I like this guy's company and products, so I was willing to toss in some coin to help him get to the next level in his product development. I've used/made/bought my fair share of rubs over the years, so I think that I have something to offer in the way of useful feedback on the prototypes. YMMV

First off, I have to say that Lanes BBQ produces nothing but quality rubs.  They are worth it, but like Tinyfish, shipping to Canada and Conversion make ventures like this a tad expensive for Canucks.  For me, I have a local shop that supplies Lanes for Canada and I save money as they order in bulk.  Backing business scares the heck out of me.  I would rather pay a bit more later knowing that I am getting something for sure.  That meter intrigued me, however, I really do not think that it will ever ship.

Edited by bosco

3 hours ago, bosco said:

That meter intrigued me, however, I really do not think that it will ever ship.

As an investor, I hope you're wrong on this one, Ryan, as it will be very useful on rotisserie cooks (which is why I sponsored it.) We'll know in a couple of weeks, as they are supposed to be starting production runs and fulfilling backer rewards in mid-October, per their last update on Friday. 

• Like 1

Well, got my first shipment from the Lane's BBQ kickstarter campaign today.

001.JPG

The 1st rub in the Pitmaster series is for Beef. As they describe it, their regular brisket rub on steroids! Looking forward to trying both of them real soon! So, we're off to the races!!!

• Like 2

Thinking I'll test out the experimental rub on a brisket this weekend.

I took that big container of House Divided and broke it down into 3 lots, put 2 up in FoodSaver bags to store. Tasted it out of the jar - very nice blend of herbs with their Sweet Heat rub. Very garlicky too. Can't wait to toss some on chicken. 

• Like 1