Aussie Ora

Trying out the smoke pot

@Aussie Ora, are you able to use the smoking wood for another cook? or you think its no good after one cook?

Also do you think you needed to have the chips in there too or just the chunks would have been enough?

Looking at the wood I don't think so churchi think it's been sucked dry but can use it as lump. The chips we're sitting next to my pot so I thought why not either way it works awesome

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

21 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

Looking at the wood I don't think so churchi think it's been sucked dry but can use it as lump. The chips we're sitting next to my pot so I thought why not either way it works awesome

Outback Kamado Bar and Grillemoji621.png

Awesome thanks mate. Going to go get one of these pots this weekend. Do you find you need to bury the pot in the coal so you can put the drip pan and sit it flat? I am guessing the pot sticks out of the coals a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, parisbrownep said:

Interesting that thread. Just a few things missing in my understanding and would be grateful if some contributors could enlighten.
1) why put the wood in a pot
2) how does the pot change the smoke profile
3) any downsides to this technique
4) why seal the pot with foil
Many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) as the wood Smokes the smoke is forced out the bottom holes and into hot coals. The bad volitoles get burned off so what you get is nice thin blue smoke. 

2) no volitoles left in the smoke means no chance of an acrid smoke taste going on your meat. 

3) not really. Just have to setup your lump so the pot can sit down in the coals. 

4) ensures all smoke from the wood gets forced down and out the bottom holes. Use foil or a flour  paste. 

Edited by ckreef

17 hours ago, Jon B. said:

I ordered my 1 qt. CI dutch oven today..............one more fun toy to play with!!!!!! 

15 hours ago, Jon B. said:

The two qt. pot looked a tad too big for the 19" charcoal basket...................(precise eye ball measurement :-D)  

I have a 1 quart smoke pot for the 19". After drilling the holes I removed the top knob.  It fits but a tight fit height wise. Also if you split your smoking wood up into smaller pieces you can fit more in the pot. 

• Like 1

Awesome thanks mate. Going to go get one of these pots this weekend. Do you find you need to bury the pot in the coal so you can put the drip pan and sit it flat? I am guessing the pot sticks out of the coals a bit.

On the 23 I have heaps of clearance no issue at all just place the pot on your Coles. Put the low grate in and sit your drip pan on that it's super easy

• Like 1

Interesting that thread. Just a few things missing in my understanding and would be grateful if some contributors could enlighten.

1) why put the wood in a pot

2) how does the pot change the smoke profile

3) any downsides to this technique

4) why seal the pot with foil

Many thanks.

Ckreef sumed it up perfectly mate I don't know if the lid can blow off that would be interesting lol but having a good seal will force the smoke out of the holes. Only upsides with this trick mate you start with the best smelling thin smoke ever no waiting for it. Won't fit in a classic but I was thinking a ci prawn cooker might do the trick with chips you just need the clearance . all I can say thank you syzygies for sharing a brilliant idea your a legend mate

1) as the wood Smokes the smoke is forced out the bottom holes and into hot coals. The bad volitoles get burned off so what you get is nice thin blue smoke. 

2) no volitoles left in the smoke means no chance of an acrid smoke taste going on your meat. 

3) not really. Just have to setup your lump so the pot can sit down in the coals. 

4) ensures all smoke from the wood gets forced down and out the bottom holes. Use foil or a flour  paste. 

Many thanks ckreef. I'll give it a go

• Like 1

just an add-on thought about the flour paste/foil. The lids on most of these pots are not very air tight. The idea is to starve the smoking wood of oxygen, so it smolders and not burn like your charcoal is doing outside the pot. (Check out the "after" pics - you basically made some hardwood lump charcoal.) I forget, but someone modified theirs with a bolt through the middle to secure the lid that way. While that should work fine, I'm OK with the flour/water paste method. A tad messy, but simple and works great. 

• Like 2

Think Playdoh consistency. Just like bread dough, if it's too wet, add more flour, if it's too dry/dusty add a splash more water. The keys that I've found are to make sure you've mix them thoroughly (no lumps) and to give the flour time to absorb the water before piping it out onto the lid. Just a couple of minutes seems to do the trick. Just another one of those things that comes with a bit of practice.

I posted that pic about the bolt from guru.looked cool. I was looking up flour paste recipes and found a distillers site. Unbelievable it was like what's the best oil to put in your motor bike lol I think every type of flour was used. That's when I remembered CC mention his mate used foil. I tested the lid on my new duchie and found it had little movement plus had a lip so the foil was a good choice I put 2 or 3 layers on I think probably 3 and cut around and molded it in over the seem