tinyfish

OT Fig Growing.

I just started growing fig tree's and I was wondering if anyone is into that.

I started by winning a fig tree at a family picnic about a month ago and now I'm up to 13 and still looking for more.

Most the fig tree's/ plants that i have are in their first year of growth.  I was able to to buy some larger size tree's. One of the tree's has about 40 figs that are ripening now.

This is the large tree with the figs.2016-08-30 18.05.19.jpg

The figs before ripening and after.2016-08-30 18.06.23.jpg20160830_161501.jpg

These are some medium size tree's20160828_181157.jpg

Some of the first year plants20160831_195312.jpg

This fig is called Ronde de Bordeaux which produced about 6 figs.2016-09-13-19-28-21.png

This is the fig from the large tree. It is called UNK which stands for unknown cultivar. 2016-09-13-19-26-11.png

I hope to do some stuffed figs on the KK soon.

• Like 1

Just now, MacKenzie said:

Great pixs, tinyfish. :) You must be having lots of fun gardening. :) How will you store the fig trees over the winter?

Most I will carry down into my basement and store in my cold room. The large one if I can't carry it downstairs I will wrap it up  with some burlap and a blanket and put it in my attached garage against the wall from inside the house.

1 minute ago, Shuley said:

I have a fig tree....a huge one actually that grows when larger and more agressively every time we cut it back. Problem is....I don't particularly like figs. If I see a good application for them that may change. They just seem so....plain.

The couple of figs that I have tasted are sweet.

Have you tried making jam with the figs. You can add as much sugar as needed for your taste.

Several good things to do with figs, besides just eating them. The stuffed ones are great. Nice paring on a charcuterie platter, especially with prosciutto and manchego cheese. They make a nice BBQ sauce. Fig jam, especially with some bacon thrown in, is the shizzle! Underrated fruit in this country. 

Our fig tree has pretty much taken over the near back yard despite having been cut back to the roots a couple of times. But it seems like the birds beat us to it every year, it's rare to get a fig that hasn't had a hole pecked in it.

Last year it contracted some kind of fungus and had to be pruned back heavily but it's still relatively massive, I'll take some pics and post them soon.

Nice pics!

Best,

Bill

6 hours ago, billg71 said:

Our fig tree has pretty much taken over the near back yard despite having been cut back to the roots a couple of times. But it seems like the birds beat us to it every year, it's rare to get a fig that hasn't had a hole pecked in it.

Last year it contracted some kind of fungus and had to be pruned back heavily but it's still relatively massive, I'll take some pics and post them soon.

Nice pics!

Best,

Bill

Would love to see some pics. Have you tried netting the tree to keep the birds out.