John A

First cook

First cook turned out pretty good. 8 lb Pork butt took about 8 1/2hrs. Over shot my temp a little but not too bad. I was going for 250 and that's where I started but ended up at 280 by the end. One thing I can say is there's not much to mess with. I did take a long time the warm up ( like 2 hrs ). Not sure what that was all about but I'll get the hang of it. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

looks great.  As for the temp, the left dial looks good.  I too like having the right open but use the smallest hole.  Having it open as much as you did is what resulted in you having the higher temp.  The hardest thing about learning to cook on a KK is learning just how little air is required to get it going. 

• Like 2

I'm doing my burn in and I have a few areas where the tiles are coming up and I poked a hole to vent but the tiles won't stay down. Been at 500 deg for 3 hrs. Should I go to the next 50 deg? Will the tiles stay down as I come down in temp after I've finished the burn in or should I stop and let it cool down?

13 hours ago, DennisLinkletter said:

Yes Dennis, it is very efficient but it doesn't have much of a heat soak to it so it is easily influenced. Too insulated really. If you get above temp it's over. It will get to 800 deg but 250 is about as low as you can stay and you have to stay with it all day or it will get away from you. 

12 minutes ago, John A said:

I'm doing my burn in and I have a few areas where the tiles are coming up and I poked a hole to vent but the tiles won't stay down. Been at 500 deg for 3 hrs. Should I go to the next 50 deg? Will the tiles stay down as I come down in temp after I've finished the burn in or should I stop and let it cool down?

If tiles won't stay down there is only one thing that pushes them back up.. Vapor pressure.  
You still need to vent more. When the pressure is gone the tiles don't push back and will  stay down.