ckreef

KK - Kill a Chicken Experiment

This didn't start out as an experiment but ended up being one. 

The Idea: because of the way a KK's firebox is setup it burns a cooler fire compared to other ceramic Kamados for a given temperature. I've noticed this looking at other people's cooks compared to mine and the  size of the bed of coals for a given temperature. Because of a cooler fire it is a more moist cooking environment. 

The Experiment: at what point can I dry out a chicken done rotisserie style using my 19" Komodo Kamado. 

The Setup: 19" KK with built in rotisserie. 400* direct but with an infrared heat diffuser. I used the same brand chickens that are free range, no antibiotics (I'll post the name brand next time I run the experiment). Washed and dried the chickens. Cut the wings off for later use. Coated with a mixture of oil and seasonings. 

Note: since this didn't start out as an experiment I don't have pictures for my first 3 tests.  (sorry)

Test One: cooked for 1 hour 10 minutes (1:10). Although cooked through the skin was not crispy enough. Dark meat was so moist it was smushy. 

Test Two: cooked for 1:20. Skin was nice and crispy. Dark meat was just a little smushy. 

Test Three: cooked for 1:30. Skin nice and crispy. Proper texture on dark meat, tender and juicy. White meat still moist and tender. This is the cook Mrs skreef liked the best. 

Test Four: cooked for 1:40. Super crispy skin. Dark meat still  tender and very juicy. White meat tender and moist but probably can't take much more time. This is the cook I liked the best.

KACa.jpg

KACb.jpg

Cutting into the breast. Still moist and tender but not leaking juice.

KACc.jpg

I mangled the leg quarter pulling it off the chicken. Dark meat has a good texture and extra juicy. 

KACd.jpg

Well haven't killed the chicken yet. Where do I go from here? 1:40 was getting close to the time limit to still have moist and tender white meat. Maybe next round I'll go for 500*. Stay tuned I cook a rotisserie chicken once every week or two.  

• Like 3

I did a chicken after my last grilling session with just residual heat, must have been 550+ at the dome, threw the chicken on the indirect side and then shut all the vents and the damper just as I would if I were closing down after the cook. Left her in there for an hour and a half not opening the lid - still around 300 at the dome when I lifted it out (this was after a slow rib cook then grilling session so the KK was fully heat sunk).

Good skin, but still light in colour and super moist.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EGGARY said:

Interesting concept/experiment.  Dumb question:  What makes a cooler fire ?  How does that differ from regulating the temperature with the vents ?  Thanks.

What I was referring to (just my theory and what I've noticed from other people joetisserie cooks)  KK's firebox is setup so all the incoming air is forced up through the burning coals. This allows less airflow and thus a smaller bed of coals to maintain a particular temperature. The firebox and super insulating qualities of a KK both contribute to a smaller bed of coals. That smaller bed of coals is a cooler fire. 

This is compared to other ceramic Kamados where some of the airflow bypasses the firebox. That coupled with less insulation properties means a larger bed of coals to maintain that same temperature. With a larger bed of coals being a hotter fire which means a slightly drier air. The drier air tends to cook the chicken faster and it's not as moist. Way better than an oven but not as good as a KK. 

Now that is just the conclusion I've come to after seeing lots of other chicken rotisserie cooks. 

13 hours ago, Steve M said:

That's where mine tend to fall. I try to never go above 160 in the breast though.

Thanks for experimenting.

What if found with chicken in a KK is if you take the breast to just done status the thighs (dark meat) won't be done enough and might be down right smushy and gross. KK chickens are so moist you can cook until the breast temperature is a good bit higher and it's still tender and moist. Doing that and the thighs get to an acceptable level of doneness. 

• Like 1

Here is the chickens I've been buying for a while now. Really good chickens. 

ChickenA.jpg

The rub I use. Mixed with a little oil. I rinse and dry the bird and cutoff the wings. I then brush it down with this mixture and load it into the rotisserie basket. Once loaded I sprinkle on a little more rub. 

KC500a.jpg

I did this bird at 500* for 1 hour 20 minutes. Bird was moist and tender. The problem with 500* is the rub started to burn fairly early in the cook. 

KC500b.jpg

KC500c.jpg

KC500d.jpg

I have a double chicken rotisserie planned for later this week. Will bring it down to 450* and see how that does. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

Chicken and veggies look delicious and those bones would make great stock and if you can't make the stock right now just freeze the bones. :) 

I'll have a crock pot chicken stock post coming soon. Probably this weekend. I actually did this cook last week and made a batch of stock. It was OK. Learned a bit. Next batch this weekend will be better. Doing a double rotisserie cook before then.